Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Are you sick and tired of people interrupting your training - because I've had it

There's always someone stronger and bigger than you, just sayin.
What in the name of God is this supposed to mean, exactly? Did I ever say I'm super strong? Did I ever claim to be the strongest? I never said I was special, nor that I was strong, or the strongest. I never claimed any such thing. Nor did I ever clam that being "strong' (which I do not consider myself to be) makes me more special than others.

I don't find it amusing when people put words in my mouth, and I don't appreciate your comment, quite frankly. If I wanna say I'm special or strong, I'll say it directly, and there won't be any doubt about what I wanted to say. And I don't need you to be putting words in my mouth. Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you're doing is not alright. I never made any such claims. And if my post sounds like I'm implying such a thing, then you read it wrong. I'm just letting out some steam. I'm quite adorable when you get to know me :p

There are many people out there that are stronger than you, and most probably don't compete... You seem a bit full of yourself- as if your agenda is more important than that of others...
Benchers will need spots so they don't crush themselves under the bar while they are 'pushing their ultimate limits of strength', unlike weightrlifing or pretty any other lift you can bail on...

Anywho... Just say no.. What's so hard about that?...t
Yeah, today a guy asked me for a spot, I know him, I said sorry, I really have to concentrate. Nah it wasn't that hard, really. The truth is, they're all nice dudes, and I'm worried that me saying no to a spot is gonna make me seem, well...full of myself, and I don't want them to think that of me. Which is why I find it ironic that people above just accused me of thinking I'm special/full of myself, because that is really far from the truth,and the one thing that prevented me from saying no to spot/other things was exactly that. I'm not that guy. But the naked truth is that such things take a toll on my concentration, I really can't afford when I'm peaking for a competition, which I am right now. But ok, I took your advice, worked fine. Thanks.

Oh yeah, about pushing your strength limits and bailing a lift...I have the impression that you are implying that bailing a lift is shameful. If you aren't implying that, then everything's fine, I misunderstood. BUT....If you *are* implying that, then my response is the following. If you think it's a pussy move to bail a lift, put 1,000 pounds on the bench, and try benching it without spotters. And then go choke. Pride and ego are poor substitutes for intelligence. Even the weakest people have the balls to get under 500 pounds of weight with 5 spotters backing them up. Takes more balls to lift alone mate. Sorry, but it's the truth. If this offends you, well...your problem.

In my experience, guys who really are busting their ass and super occupied with their work outs don't get asked to spot. Normally, people ask the guy who looks like he takes longer breaks between sets or isn't in that much of a hurry.
You want to portray yourself as being so much into the mental part of your workout, the psych, and the concentration, that you don't have time to give someone a spot, but really this whole story is sounding like a bunch of BS. And then you digress into your whole rant about how cool weightlifters are compared to powerlifters. Give me a fuckin break.
Spot people when you get the occasional request. Who knows you might even make some friends. You're not that special dude.
When I lift, it's bloody obvious it's hard and you'd have to be blind and deaf not to notice it. Your experiences are actually quite correct, but this time you're wrong. Some people really just don't care, and that's what bothers me. Asking for a spot? Ok, no problem...but choose a more appropriate time maybe? I can't be available 24/7 for that stuff, and some people do *not* understand that. Some people think I'm always up for it. I'm not. Sometimes I'm going for a personal record and shitting my pants thinking about whether I'll make it or not. My heart is racing before I even touch the bar, because I know what's going down in a minute or so. I don't wanna be spotting anyone at such a time, or checking out their snatch or good morning technique. Not to mention there's like at least a dozen people at any one time they could ask for a spot. Why bother someone who is going for a PR? I'd never do that. But others do not seem to have any tact. And it's not cute any longer.

Btw, I don't want this to degenerate into a weightlifting vs. powerlifting discussion, 2 completely different sports, so why discuss it? If I made the impression that I have something against powerlifting, then I do apologize. It wasn't my intention to diss powrerlifting just to be "cool" or whatever. Although, to be fair, I did sound like it, so I do owe you an apology. Sorry about that, I'm letting out some steam, and obviously I stepped on your toes while doing it, so I do apologize. I already said several times I got nothing against powerlifting. And that's the truth. I respect anyone who gives their best, whether they are lifting 100 or 500 lbs. BUT...my PRs come before your PRs. And that's the way it's supposed to be.

That's why I won't bother anyone going for a PR because I want to see him succeed at it and not bother him while he focuses, and congratulate him afterwards if he succeeds. And a few words of consolation if he fails as well. Heck, you won't make every PR. I know about that shit.

So please, PLEASE don't take it the wrong way....I'm not special, I'm not strong, I'm not the strongest, in fact I'm weak as fuck, I'm a pussy for crying out loud....but I take my training seriously.

Oh and today, I did make a few PRs because I actually started to focus more and spot less (well ok it was one guy asking but still...PRs! I made them! :p)

Sounds like youre a grumpy unpleasant person.

I admit I can be like that sometimes, but most of the time not. I'm peaking for competition, lifting in front a home crowd in 3 weeks, competing for a medal as well. And trying to break PRs at this point as well. I am a bit on edge, yes, that is true. But I got reasons for being a bit grumpy. I admit there's pressure to perform well as I am lifting in front of a home crowd.

Last edited:
What in the name of God is this supposed to mean, exactly? Did I ever say I'm super strong? Did I ever claim to be the strongest? I never said I was special, nor that I was strong, or the strongest. I never claimed any such thing. Nor did I ever clam that being "strong' (which I do not consider myself to be) makes me more special than others.

I don't find it amusing when people put words in my mouth, and I don't appreciate your comment, quite frankly. If I wanna say I'm special or strong, I'll say it directly, and there won't be any doubt about what I wanted to say. And I don't need you to be putting words in my mouth. Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you're doing is not alright. I never made any such claims. And if my post sounds like I'm implying such a thing, then you read it wrong. I'm just letting out some steam. I'm quite adorable when you get to know me :p

Yeah, today a guy asked me for a spot, I know him, I said sorry, I really have to concentrate. Nah it wasn't that hard, really. The truth is, they're all nice dudes, and I'm worried that me saying no to a spot is gonna make me seem, well...full of myself, and I don't want them to think that of me. Which is why I find it ironic that people above just accused me of thinking I'm special/full of myself, because that is really far from the truth,and the one thing that prevented me from saying no to spot/other things was exactly that. I'm not that guy. But the naked truth is that such things take a toll on my concentration, I really can't afford when I'm peaking for a competition, which I am right now. But ok, I took your advice, worked fine. Thanks.

Oh yeah, about pushing your strength limits and bailing a lift...I have the impression that you are implying that bailing a lift is shameful. If you aren't implying that, then everything's fine, I misunderstood. BUT....If you *are* implying that, then my response is the following. If you think it's a pussy move to bail a lift, put 1,000 pounds on the bench, and try benching it without spotters. And then go choke. Pride and ego are poor substitutes for intelligence. Even the weakest people have the balls to get under 500 pounds of weight with 5 spotters backing them up. Takes more balls to lift alone mate. Sorry, but it's the truth. If this offends you, well...your problem.

When I lift, it's bloody obvious it's hard and you'd have to be blind and deaf not to notice it. Your experiences are actually quite correct, but this time you're wrong. Some people really just don't care, and that's what bothers me. Asking for a spot? Ok, no problem...but choose a more appropriate time maybe? I can't be available 24/7 for that stuff, and some people do *not* understand that. Some people think I'm always up for it. I'm not. Sometimes I'm going for a personal record and shitting my pants thinking about whether I'll make it or not. My heart is racing before I even touch the bar, because I know what's going down in a minute or so. I don't wanna be spotting anyone at such a time, or checking out their snatch or good morning technique. Not to mention there's like at least a dozen people at any one time they could ask for a spot. Why bother someone who is going for a PR? I'd never do that. But others do not seem to have any tact. And it's not cute any longer.

Btw, I don't want this to degenerate into a weightlifting vs. powerlifting discussion, 2 completely different sports, so why discuss it? If I made the impression that I have something against powerlifting, then I do apologize. It wasn't my intention to diss powrerlifting just to be "cool" or whatever. Although, to be fair, I did sound like it, so I do owe you an apology. Sorry about that, I'm letting out some steam, and obviously I stepped on your toes while doing it, so I do apologize. I already said several times I got nothing against powerlifting. And that's the truth. I respect anyone who gives their best, whether they are lifting 100 or 500 lbs. BUT...my PRs come before your PRs. And that's the way it's supposed to be.

That's why I won't bother anyone going for a PR because I want to see him succeed at it and not bother him while he focuses, and congratulate him afterwards if he succeeds. And a few words of consolation if he fails as well. Heck, you won't make every PR. I know about that shit.

So please, PLEASE don't take it the wrong way....I'm not special, I'm not strong, I'm not the strongest, in fact I'm weak as fuck, I'm a pussy for crying out loud....but I take my training seriously.

Oh and today, I did make a few PRs because I actually started to focus more and spot less (well ok it was one guy asking but still...PRs! I made them! :p)

I admit I can be like that sometimes, but most of the time not. I'm peaking for competition, lifting in front a home crowd in 3 weeks, competing for a medal as well. And trying to break PRs at this point as well. I am a bit on edge, yes, that is true. But I got reasons for being a bit grumpy. I admit there's pressure to perform well as I am lifting in front of a home crowd.

Take it easy there cranky pants lol, what I meant is don't get so caught up in everything, like this comment, I'm states away why do you care what I say? Its the internet who cares! I do also get irritated when I'm in the groove at the gym and some guy starts talking to me but in the end just have fun and roll with it, no disrespect intended by the way my man sorry if you took it that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using EliteFitness

you've gotta either be british or canadian. am i right?

you have a totally different culture than someone lets say in southern Califonia' .. totally different way of thinking and it will come off strange to others on here so don't take it personally

Take it easy there cranky pants lol, what I meant is don't get so caught up in everything, like this comment, I'm states away why do you care what I say? Its the internet who cares! I do also get irritated when I'm in the groove at the gym and some guy starts talking to me but in the end just have fun and roll with it, no disrespect intended by the way my man sorry if you took it that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using EliteFitness

Lol alright, true, true. Don't worry about it, I'm cool man, no hate :) You know, it's funny, but this is the first time I've actually been kind of grumpy in the gym. I'm usually calm as hell. My coach sometimes yells at me to "go nuts on the bar", because I'm just very calm by nature. If anyone has the impression that I'm grumpy and unpleasant, then trust me, that impression is waaaaay wrong.

you've gotta either be british or canadian. am i right?

you have a totally different culture than someone lets say in southern Califonia' .. totally different way of thinking and it will come off strange to others on here so don't take it personally
Actually, none of the above. I'm from the Balkans. I see what you're getting at, you do have a point. I didn't think about that. I used to train martial arts for a long time, and it was always the same training principle - training, silence, and discipline. Talking during training or screwing around earned you a kick to the head from the sensei. I'm not even joking. I never got kicked because I liked the training principle, so I adhered to it, but many people didn't. I always liked the idea of discipline. I'm a calm person by nature, very calm in fact, and concentration and focus helps me a lot in training.

I agree with you about not taking it personally, you're right about culture. Sorry if I blew up a bit, wasn't my intention, but I got several people just going with the flow, and accusing me of being this and that, and that stuff got me a bit riled up :p Though I made he impression of being grumpy, I'm actually the exact opposite.

If your coach is around while your huffing and puffing after a lift or prior to one, have ur "COACH " step in and protect u from the onslaught of spotting requests and give one himself.

Suprised that when lifting for a club and you have a coach right there that any interuption would be taking place,

I can relate a bit. I don't mind the occasional spot or question, but when you are constantly interrupted it gets pretty fuggin old. I started training at a different regular time in the morning. There is a group of guys that constantly bug me. They are good size guys that have a fair amount of experience. Every few minutes they are asking advice, or telling me some personal BS. I have my headphones on for a reason. Be different if they was some hot wimminz :)

If your coach is around while your huffing and puffing after a lift or prior to one, have ur "COACH " step in and protect u from the onslaught of spotting requests and give one himself.

Suprised that when lifting for a club and you have a coach right there that any interuption would be taking place,

You know, it's funny that you're saying that. I used to have a coach, but he got caught up in life's troubles (found a steady job which he didn't have before, found a girlfriend as well, ended up in the hospital later on for a while because he had a pretty bad leg injury, they had to cut him up to treat it), and after that I continued training alone. He was one of the 2 coaches there, but the other one is the owner of the gym and is not coaching anymore, I mean at all. The man runs a business selling gym equipment in addition to owning a gym himself, and he travels a lot since he's the one organizing all the weightlifting competitions. He used to coach before, but he has way too many responsibilities now to watch me all the time. And like I said, the other coach is out of commission as well. Life got to him :p

But you are right indeed, when he was coaching me, he would usually tell people to leave me alone when they asked for a spot or something.. He had the same training principle - no interruptions during training. It's just the way I trained half my life. Though after he had to quit coaching, people came like flies on shit :p Didn't bother me at first, but it got ridiculous later on...

Sadly, I now train alone. Thankfully I manage, and I'm certainly having good progress even while training alone. I know it sounds odd, no coaches in a weightlifting club, but part of the problem is also the fact that the weightlifting club is no longer really *just* a weightlifting club - it is now a regular gym also, and that changes thing s a lot. Used to be strictly a weightlifting club, but the owner expanded to a regular gym also to make a better living, and stopped coaching. We are still active and certainly compete, but things changed a lot.

I can relate a bit. I don't mind the occasional spot or question, but when you are constantly interrupted it gets pretty fuggin old. I started training at a different regular time in the morning. There is a group of guys that constantly bug me. They are good size guys that have a fair amount of experience. Every few minutes they are asking advice, or telling me some personal BS. I have my headphones on for a reason. Be different if they was some hot wimminz :)
Heh...that's pretty funny. I train in the morning also, for the same reason as you do, to avoid people that bother me all the time with personal stuff. I get people asking me for advice all the time as well, not that I have a problem with it really...but just like you, it's also the personal stuff that gets me...not to mention that a lot of people who used to come later are now coming earlier just like me...wonder what's up with that?

Oh yeah....I got a few examples of what kind of people I get bothering me for no decent reason, if anyone can be bothered reading it. The following will be just a rant, so take it with a grain of salt :p. A guy comes up to me, my head is facing the floor, I'm silent, concentrating. He's close to me and he's like "Hey." I see the guy, and think to myself "God, him again." Because I know this guy, and he *never* has anything relevant to say. And he says "There's chicken nuggets on sale in X store for x,xx amount of money." I mean, it was *totally* random. The he proceeded to tell me about how much he likes chicken nuggets and that I should go buy it because they're cheap and on sale. You'd have to be freaking *blind* to not notice that I was concentrating at the time. But you know what, screw concentration!. There's chicken nuggets on sale! It's exactly what I need before a hard rep.

Then one guy started telling me, out of the blue, about how he was supposed to be a pro boxer, and proceeded to demonstrate his "punching skills" to me. Kept constantly bugging me to tell him what his nose looked like (it was broken several times, he was getting surgery to fix it, and kept asking half the gym if his nose looked alright). And that's the stuff I gotta deal with. People have no tact. Because 2 mins before I need to have another hard rep, your nose is the perfect subject to talk about. God, some people...

Another guy kept bothering me show him how to clean, which wasn't really all that bad, but I had to listen about how he trained rugby and how hard it is, about how he needs to train for speed, endurance blah blah blah...and most of the time when he's in the gym, he barely touches the bar...except of course for the bench press, because God forbid he misses out on that one. Never seen him squat once. Because leg strength is useless in rugby.

Yes, I know, lots of sarcasm there. And no, it's not because I'm full of myself or anything like that, it's because I'm trying to add humor to the whole thing :p Just so it's out there.

Well, anyway, sorry for going on and on, I know I keep writing too much. Most people probably can't even be bothered reading all the crap I write lol. Thanks if you did though, your mental constitution must be awesome haha!

Top Bottom