Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Are you sick and tired of people interrupting your training - because I've had it

I have been facing some problems in my new gym. Just like you some idiots interrupted my workouts including a stupid trainer who don't even know the difference between dumbbell shoulder press n inclined dumbbell bench press. Now my harsh behavior keeps them away from me n I'm enjoying my workout without interruption. Try to tell them how busy you are if it doesn't work then just listen to the music n keep expressions on your face like you are about to kill an enemy.
Good luck!

The best thing to do I would think is to Shush them as they get close to you. Have your ear phones on and shush them as if your concentrating. When I'm getting amped for a lift I pace and talk to myself and no one ever seems to bother me lol. I guess people aren't inclined to interrupt a crazy Mofo that looks like he's about to rip someone's head off. This doesn't stop them from approaching me after the lift, but by then I'm to tired to care. I'm too busy catching my breath and calming down.

You see, that does work, actually. But anyone who has ever watched weightlifters lift knows they never do that. A lot of concentration and proper technique is required, and weightlifters are usually calm and focused. We need to be. There's no screaming like a mad mofo and such.

Take a look at a world championship in powerlifting and compare to a world weightlifting championship. You will *never* see a weightlifter going ape shit crazy before a lift. There may be a few sych weightlifters, but those are the exception and not the rule. With weightlifters, even on an elite level, it's usually calm before the storm. Not saying it wouldn't help, but it's really not a weightlifters style. Though I understand what you're getting at - I've been having a much more meaner look on my face as of late due to all the aggravation, people actually think twice before asking me for a spot, but they do it anyway.

But yeah, you have a point.

All kidding aside, ^^^Like Joe said. And there is also the, "I don't want to seem rude, but I don't like to be distracted when I lift.", honest kind of approach. We all go through it, just a part of standing out, I guess.

Very true, that would be good. I've come up with the idea to tell them all not to ask for a spot at all anymore, and just be done with it. It's really aggravating to be interrupted by people who don't even train seriously, and have no idea what it means to compete for a medal.

I have been facing some problems in my new gym. Just like you some idiots interrupted my workouts including a stupid trainer who don't even know the difference between dumbbell shoulder press n inclined dumbbell bench press. Now my harsh behavior keeps them away from me n I'm enjoying my workout without interruption. Try to tell them how busy you are if it doesn't work then just listen to the music n keep expressions on your face like you are about to kill an enemy.
Good luck!

Yeah I do have that look on my face. Doesn't seem to help. I did agree to spot people back when I began weightlifting because I didn't find it that annoying back then, but then again I also thought that at some point they wouldn't be asking me anymore. Well, tough luck for me I guess xD

You get mad when people ask for your help with a spot? You sound kinda whack

Lol, thanks? :p We weightlifters don't really give a crap about spotting. It annoys a lot of us. Weightlifting is not a team sport like powerlifting :) It's just you and the bar, if you can't handle it, you fail. I never ask for a spot on anything, just don't need it. Don't get me wrong , I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, it's just the nature of our sport. I don't know a single weightlifters who ever asked me for a spot. We just don't spot. Period. Don't need it, don't want it, don't wanna do it. I know a ton of weightlifters, *none* of them ever has a spotter, regardless whether they snatch, clan and jerk, front squat, back squat or whatever.

My gym is full of powerlifters who always put more weight on the bar than they can handle. If they could handle it, they wouldn't need wraps, a belt, 3 spotters, not to mention shortening the range of motion of the squat by like 1/2 almost just to lift it. God. And of course, a 4th person whose job is to film his "awesome" attempt, because God forbid the youtube community be deprived of the sheer awesomeness of a 5 inch ROM squat.

But I digress. That's the nature of their sport, and I'm fine with it.I hope you don't take this the wrong way. Nothing against it, but it really takes a toll on my concentration and my time, and I really can't afford that when I'm training seriously. Powerlifters, on the other hand, have 15 minute rests between workouts, or even longer (don't ask me, I don't know), while my rest is around 2-3 minutes, and I don't have the time to be standing there, spotting someone for a whole minute. It really breaks my concentration. Whatever rest I got between attempts I require in order to focus properly, and prepare for the next attempt, which is usually very hard.

Thanks for the reply man, no hate :)

I feel your pain but really. if someone needs a spot then it takes a second to give it to them. the only thing you can say is bad etiquette is if you give someone a spot and then they don't return the favor later on.

for the record i haven't asked for a spot in a long time. i know how much i can do and how many reps to a tee so i don't need it, however at my last gym there was a group of us who would always spot each other no matter what just so we could hammer out an extra rep. i really spent too much time socializing at that gym, hell i was there for 4 years or so ... i'm gonna run into regulars who i get to know. however at my new gym i don't know anyone and never socialize so maybe you should change gyms and then use the ear phone strategy of just listening to music and being in your world.. get those huge ear buds and they won't even mess with you.

You know, I really don't have anything against spotting, it's just that I don't really want to do it. My training is very demanding at this point, and spotting someone doesn't take just a second sadly :p And weightlifters just don't spot, basically. I've been in my gym for almost 4 years as well. I didn't overly socialize because I wanted to train. If someone wants to socialize in the gym, that's ok, I'm just not the guy to do it with, that's all. Earphones really won't help, trust me. I know this for a fact. I don't really have an MP3 either, so that's also a problem xD But you know what, I might give it a try. I'm pretty sure it won't work, but I'll try it. I think my bro may be able to help me with an MP3. The music in the gym sucks anyway, so having some music of choice would be nice!

And I agree it's not nice to refuse to spot when a person has spotted you, but I have only asked for a spot a handful of times in almost 4 years, literally. Asking someone for a spot a handful of times in almost 4 years as opposed to bothering them with it all the time isn't really the same.

If anyone needs a spot, that's ok. I'm just not the guy to ask. Oh and also, you may have missed the fact that there's only one gym in my city where I can lift weights, and I also can't lift weights at another place if I'm competing for my current club, which I am. Not to mention that, as a member of the club who competes, I train there for free.

There are many people out there that are stronger than you, and most probably don't compete... You seem a bit full of yourself- as if your agenda is more important than that of others...
Benchers will need spots so they don't crush themselves under the bar while they are 'pushing their ultimate limits of strength', unlike weightrlifing or pretty any other lift you can bail on...

Anywho... Just say no.. What's so hard about that?...t

In my experience, guys who really are busting their ass and super occupied with their work outs don't get asked to spot. Normally, people ask the guy who looks like he takes longer breaks between sets or isn't in that much of a hurry.
You want to portray yourself as being so much into the mental part of your workout, the psych, and the concentration, that you don't have time to give someone a spot, but really this whole story is sounding like a bunch of BS. And then you digress into your whole rant about how cool weightlifters are compared to powerlifters. Give me a fuckin break.
Spot people when you get the occasional request. Who knows you might even make some friends. You're not that special dude.

There are many people out there that are stronger than you, and most probably don't compete... You seem a bit full of yourself- as if your agenda is more important than that of others...
Benchers will need spots so they don't crush themselves under the bar while they are 'pushing their ultimate limits of strength', unlike weightrlifing or pretty any other lift you can bail on...

Anywho... Just say no.. What's so hard about that?...t

Top Bottom