Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

anybody here make a living doing personal training?

strongchick

I'm thinking of getting certified and I just got laid off my "secure" computer programming job...which was a bore anyway so I thought while I'm looking and I've got the time off that I would study for a cert and maybe try personal training. I prefer to be a _knowledgeable_ trainer...

Can you make a decent living doing this? Not that I wouldn't do it for free, but, I got bills.... :bawling:

Last edited:
Strongchick,
where ya' been? Seems like I've not seen your posts much lately.
Who are you thinking of getting cert through? Doing quite well at my gym. From past experiences, I feel gym environment has a lot to do w/ $$ possible thru PT. My present gym has great equipment, clean, great salespeople, long hours of operation and up-beat, knowledgable trainers w/ excellent physiques all w/ at least 2 nationally recognized certs (a requirement along w/ participation in spinning & various group classes each week, and we have to start our own class of some kind upon hiring). The trainers are really involved w/ the members on a personal level- even before they sign up for sessions. The energy is contagious! :D
Other gyms I've trained at w/ poor appearance from salespeople & PT's themselvesor, no interpersonal skills from PT's, bad reputations, or lacking equipment or badly managed are a true hinderance to potential $$.
Good luck at it- I know you would be a success! :)

I've been away because I've been licking my wounds from my recent job layoff. I liked working there, and now I'm taking a much needed break at the worst possible time....I just moved to a new place that took awhile to get re-modeled, so much of my things are in storage, wah waaah waaaaah!

So I'm doing some soul searching, and since I love working out and talking about working out so much I thought I should explore working at a gym.

I need to make a minimum of $45-50K to survive, however, and I'm not good at working more than one job (my attention span and mental stamina are limited) so being a PT part-time is not really an option....I either need to do it or not do it...

I'm looking at ACE (because after searching through threads it is the most required by gyms) and NSCA (because it gets respect).

My undergrad is in Psychology. I'm thinking of taking some grad courses in nutrition and/or kinesiology to round out my knowledge base.

Eventually my dream is to get a PhD and write on the subject of nutrition and strength and conditioning. This way I could work until I'm quite old...since I have a hard time saving money LOL!

I'm not exactly an extrovert..although I was a successful sales person...so group training is probably not the way for me...I think the one-on-one thing is best. In fact I would rather be a massage therapist but I can't afford the training ($8400!) so I thought being a PT is good for now until I either finish my grad schooling or get some cash.

Thanks for the vote of confidence...I have an interview for a sales job at a gym and I need to be positive...I don't want to be in membership sales but I think being in the gym environment will be good and give me a chance to study more for the certs and qualify for a good PT gig.

Anybody else out there paying their bills as a PT?

I'm not, but I know a number of people (since I live in LA) who do. The most successful people I know are

(1) people who train celebs, which is lucrative but a pain in the butt as you're on call 24/7, and are a nanny, shrink, mom/dad and Dr. Also, alas, they're fickle and can drop you very easily.

and (2) trainers who've found a niche not covered. I now one guy who works almost exculsively with folks with MS, Parkinson's, etc. He takes up where their physical therapist leaves off. A good friend of mine concentrates on women after pregnancy, and markets herself that way.

I think that being in great shape and a good communicator isn't enough to really make enough money to do this full time. You need to find a way to set yourself apart from everyone else. Not in a gimmicky way, but in a way that offers something that no one else can. I'm sure you have strengths that will lend themselves to this.

YOu will be selling yourself, as well.

...keiko..

isn't Los Angeles kinda competitive for gym and training?

I would think there would be more in shape, beautiful people there who instead of acting, turn to personal training (instead of waiting tables) because of the flexibility.

When I see marketing that PT's do here, it is mostly "get slim, get in shape", the run of the mill stuff.

Not that I'm so hot...or knowledgeable...but I can't help but wonder that some of the people that stare at me could be turned into clients...I wouldn't be at all marketable in California...but in Chicago, I'm wonder freakin' woman....thanks to pizza, fried chicken and rib joints.

I see a lot of overweight women here that make an effort to go to the gym that could really benefit from my limited knowledge...(which won't be limited for long...off to the library)

I was asked to be a personal trainer at my gym...I just didn't feel ready at the time.

I wonder if I could market myself with my own before and after pictures....he he.

I surprised more folks here don't make money at this...there is so much knowledge on this board!

C'mon...I know you guys train others, right?

I have a small business, separate from my day job.

I am qualified, and I help a few women in wealthy, Leafy, London suburbs do their morning cardio. I also do their food for them. I help professionals and women who have just had kids etc..

I also help people train.

It's a good side line, but I physically wouldn't want to compromise my mass by doing cardio all day long, I just do it for extra cash, and I like the fact that I get paid to do my cardio, don't forget each client goes three times a week, which is a lot of great extra cash ontop of your salary.

If you have knowledge, use your skills to make extra cash.

Also I'm disciplined because I have to get up really early to do their cardio in central London, then drive home wash my hair, prep my food and then go to work.

It's very good extra dough!

Expansion to a full time living is a totally didfferent ballgame. Personally I need more to feed my head.

Just my two pence sterling.

Sheena

:D

Top Bottom