Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Another "Suggest a style" thread

casualbb

Plat Hero
Platinum
I've been wanting to do some kind of martial art for a while

A little history... I did bullshit tae kwon do when I was in grade school. I hated it, too focused on tradition and seemed extremely impractical with all the forms and "ki-yah" etc.

Wrestled in high school, which I very much enjoyed. So you could say my groundwork is decent, although I've only ever focused on pinning people.

I'm looking for a style that is a sort of no-bullshit, here's-how-to-actually-fight system. From what I've heard krav maga sounds quite optimal, but it would be logistically difficult for me to attend a krav maga gym (although I'm willing if it's the right style)

any input?

are you looking for something that would translate well in the street or on the mat/in the ring?

If you want to win fights S&W fighting style is without a doubt the best 1 on 1 fighting style...not great for fitness though.

do you know what styles are available in your area..

wrestlers normally do really well in other martial arts because of there conditioning and work ethic

Got Judo? :)

with these threads you will basically get people telling you their favs, I personally loved Krav,with I could have keep taking it,but logistics were a bitch for me to.

IMO it is the most practical if you just want to take one style, otherwise id reccomend maybe something like pancration where you learn various styles such as bjj ,muay thai,kick boxing,and grappling at one school

Bro,

First see what is avalible in your are then post it up here and we can help you pick.... Go check out the gyms, then post about it here and we can tell you what to look for... It is a process bro, you have to go anc check the places out.

I'm luck enough to be in the NYC area. Some of the best gyms and trainers are here. Hate me, hate me!

-BRR

Learn to box. You aren't ready for another martial art till you can throw a simple punch... and throwing a good punch takes more than you realize.

The styles offered by my college gym are...
taekwondo, hankido, judo, karate, taiji, wushu

Local gyms/dojos... I'm seeing
-kuk sool won?
-mixed martial arts, this sounds cool http://www.moderncombatives.com/adults_intro.html
-capoeir and tai chi. heh, right.

And lastly I could do krav maga, of which there are two gyms 30-45 minutes from me by public transit

that mixed martial arts class sounds real cool but i really think you have to check out a few schools before you pick one

casualbb said:
I'm looking for a style that is a sort of no-bullshit, here's-how-to-actually-fight system. From what I've heard krav maga sounds quite optimal...

I've heard a lot of people give high marks to Krav.

"actually-fight" -- Be careful to draw a distinction between competing and fighting, and even then it's a touchy subject.

For example, the MMA school sounds great if you wanted to train towards MMA competition. Does such competition translate to real-world defence? Hmm.. well sure, the practitioners could certainly kick some serious butt outside the ring, and yet that's not quite what they're training towards. Would you, an amateur, feel safe on the streets with those skills? Sure, you're all tough and stuff. Would you actually be, as they say, "street-proofed". Maybe. That would probably depend more on you than your training.

I'd still say the generic rules apply:

* Read about the style
* Ask people about the style
* Try a couple of classes
* Be critical about the gym, the teacher and the students. There are many things to learn.. the social environment, the scheduling, the costs, the requirements.

Not that I have much clout, but I would say definite no to that particular MMA gym and a tentitive yes to the Krav gym.

Mind you, from what I've heard of it I have issues with Krav. Sure you could kick the holy hell out of one guy.. but the adrenaline dump and effort would leave you tired. What if his buddies came after you five minutes after you ruined their friend? Another adrenaline dump? Nope, it's time to test out the ol' running shoes. =) Still, this is my perspective.. I would have probably gone with the Judo myself. ;)

Is it difficult for you to get to Dallas from there? Maybe there are REALLY good options over there, which you could think about visiting, if even only on the weekends.

Top Bottom