Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A Lifter's Iron Log...

WARNING: Incoming long-ass post.

I don't know if you guys that posted the kind words at the end of my log are still here, but if you are, I just want to say that I appreciate it. I am GhettoStudMuffin. I had not used the e-mail account associated with this site in so long that I could not re-activate my account easily, and so I have chosen a new name. Rest assured, I am GSM.

Quick backstory: So I was training heavily as noted by this log, using some moderate test, when one day I strained my left hip on my last set of 5 on squats. I tried to train through it for nearly 2 months, but the soreness wouldn't go away. Meanwhile I decided to come off the test while backing off of the heavy powerlifts. I did quite abit of kettlebell lifting and crossfit style workourts for a while, but eventually stopped working out.

I've been attending community college for nearly two years now, and have learned A LOT, which has shown me how little I knew previously, and how much I have to learn, and that we can always learn more.

I will begin lifting weights again at the start of the summer school quarter, and will continue this journal at that point. This is GhettoStudMuffin, but I would prefer to be addressed as GreyStone now instead.

Currently I weigh somewhere around 220-230lbs of semi-lardassness. When I start training again I will likely go with 5x5, single progression, 3x a week until I get within 75-85% of my previous best lifts. At that point I'll switch to 5lbs a week increases, instead of workout to workout.

It took A LONG TIME for my left hip to get back to normal. Over a year, easily. I was doing 5x5 full squats with 365, and on the last rep, while in the whole, I felt my left hip sag down abit. I have a feeling that I strained or stretched a ligament or tendon, or whatever the hell is around the hip area, and that is why it took so damn long to heal. I've been doing full squats up to 20 reps at home with a broom to get my rom back in check before hitting it hard and heavy.

I just want to add, that reflecting on the past, some of my posts were a little negative, in so far as their spirit was concerned, and that does not reflect on who I am as a whole. While this journal records one of my greatest loves in life, physical culture, I was in somewhat of a dark place economically, and this tended to jade some of my thinking. So if you're reading this, and we had words at all in the past, I apologize and hope that you have succeeded in your goals and are still here.

I will not be using test or any anabolic/androgenics this time around, at least for the next few years while school and finances are the priority. I was on 500-750mg test a week for over 6 months, actually probably close to 8 months, and came off WITHOUT any PCT whatsoever. I simply tapered my test dosage down week by week. I was using Sustanon (LOVE IT, which I believe might have helped the tapering off. I dropped from 2-3 amps a week, to 1 a week, then 3/4 a week, then 1/2 for a couple weeks, then 1/4 for another two weeks, and then came off completely. I was working on the green chain at a lumbermill when I came off and I can say that I went through about a week feeling somewhat depressed, but mostly lacking energy. The nuts kicked in and I started feeling better. It took awhile for the boys to get back to normal, but they did. I would not recommend guys do this, but I seem to be very tolerant to testosterone supplementation, other than getting heavy water retention.

This time around I'll be using creatine monohydrate, the pure stuff made in Germany, protein powder, multi-vitamin/mineral, extra C, fish oil, and FOOD. My goal is still to get bigger and stronger, but this time around I plan to incorporate mobility exercises into my workouts after the weights, as well as eat better overall than I used to.

In about 4 weeks this log will officially start up again. Greystone, formerly known as GhettoStudMuffin, signin off. Thanks.

This provided so much closure, you have no idea haha. I always wondered what happened to your log. Unfortunately this board is only a shadow of its former self, oh well. I hope all is well.

Miked8c, can you fill me in on some details as to why the board is so diminished from it's past glory? This site used to be so hoppin with logs and what not. I would really appreciate any info you can pass on. Thanks.

From what I can gather all the big players just kind of stopped posting. I'm not sure if they left the board altogether or are still here but just choose not to participate.

It was always a small forum and the website is kind of a niche in itself because it advocates gear. Makes me want to hit up bodybuilding.com where you don't have to deal with the ebb and flow of a smaller website.

6-20-14

Just to repeat, this is GhettoStudMuffin, but going by the name Greystone now.

So ya, wow, looked at my last forum post before I quit working out with weights. Jesus I didn't realize it had been so long. Going on close to 4 years is a long frickin time.

I've gotten in shape doing alot of swimming and calisthenics during the inbetween period, but haven't seriously worked out in about 1.5 years.

I'll weigh myself on Monday at the gym.

So today was a test day to see where my strength is at. I was pleasantly surprised. Bear in mind that I know I weigh somewhere between 200-225lbs atm, so the weights relative to my bodyweight aren't stellar, but for a first weights workout in nearly 4 years, is imo, pretty damn good.

As a brief anecdote, I am 34 years old and have worked hard labor for a large portion of my life. I find that I at least have to go for a walk each day for about an hour nowadays or I end up feeling stiff and a little brittle. Not old fart brittle, more like my body is like yo, lazy fuck, I like to be worked out, and you aren't fuckin doing that, so I'm gonna make you feel 20 years older than you are, cuz I need my maintenance, bitch. Something like that.

I am going to be doing a sliiightly modified Starting Strength 5x5 program using linear progression for as long as I can. I just re-read Practical Programming (well, parts of it), and realize that I have typically used dual-factor or weekly periodization sooner than I have generally needed to, vs increasing in smaller increments. I have a complete Ironmind microplates set ranging from .25 to 1lbs so I'll ride the linear as long as possible.

So enough babbling.

Today was testing squat, bench, and row day.

I did a bunch of warmup sets, feeling the weight and maintaining strict form. I ended up doing a comfortable:

155lbs for 3x5.

All raw and full. I did notice my left knee feeling a little strain on a couple reps on the second set so I forced the knees out more and then it was all good. I have to keep in mind that I'm quite alot stronger than I thought I would be, and my tendons and ligaments are not used to these loads from nowhere. I am really going to make it a priority that every single squat rep I do is as the best I can do, including warmups, because I plan to load fairly aggressively at about 30lbs a week on the squat for the first 3-4 weeks, and the last thing I want is knee problems.

Next I moved to the Bench Press. Again, several warmup sets and then did:

135lbs for 3x5. This was pretty easy. I would guess that I could push a max right now of around 205lbs. Not bad for nearly 4 years out of the gym.

Then I did Barbell Rows warming up to 115x5. I tried a few Arnold style rows with 135, but decided I should stick with Pendlay Rows which is how all the sets were performed.

At this point I was pretty happy, and felt I should get an idea of where my deadlifting is at. I warmed up starting at 135, then 185, then 225, and then a pretty easy 275lbs pull, all singles and performed double overhand in conventional. I would estimate that I could pull 315lbs right now with serious effort.

I then moved to the chinup bar and can barely get my chin over the bar, but overall, not bad considering I weigh over 200lbs and haven't touched a weight in years. There is also a wrestling peg board at my gym, so I jumped into the first position hold and held it as long as I could, which was about 1 whole second lol. I'll work on that. I think it would be pretty badass to climb that thing all the way up and down at +225lbs.

So ya, not frickin bad for a first workout. I squat 165x3x5, bench 145x3x5, and row 120x3x5 next workout, as well as some more chins and peg board holds.

If ya read this whole, long-ass post, you deserve a beer. Adios.

Top Bottom