Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what happens if you consume no protein?

rippedtrojan

i know this is off topic, but i have a friend who is looking for studies or papers on what happens to your body if you don't consume protein. if any of you know of any it would be cool if you posted em here or gave a link. thanks bros. (i am posting this here too 'cause this board gets traffic other boards don't)

If you didnt eat protein you would probably look like some of the fat vegetarian ecology teachers I have.

In all seriousness, I will try and do a search. But from I what recall nothing that bad can happen since entire ancient civilizations like the egyptians relied on wheat products and not on animal products. But that is just for survival, you wont grow much muscle on 100% carb diet.

IB

ironbarbarian said:
If you didnt eat protein you would probably look like some of the fat vegetarian ecology teachers I have.

In all seriousness, I will try and do a search. But from I what recall nothing that bad can happen since entire ancient civilizations like the egyptians relied on wheat products and not on animal products. But that is just for survival, you wont grow much muscle on 100% carb diet.

IB

yeah same with ancient central america and mexican people. their diets were extremely low on protein and studies have been done to determine whether these people had protein deficencies. but their diets do have some protein (breads and such do have small amounts of protein), just very small amounts.

There's a guy at my gym that's a vegan, all he gets is soy protein. It doesn't seem to have hurt him, he's got a fantastic physique.

You would die...seriously. But in reality unless you don't eat you will be consuming portein, albeit not necessarily complete proteins. All food except pure fat and pure sugars contain proteins and thus amino acids. Protein is ESSENTIAL to life. Protein makes just about everything work in your body, though every system in the body is dependant on another so that's more or less a gross oversimplification. You need amino acids to produce the many, many proteins of the body. Hormones, receptors, neurotransmitters, carrier proteins, anit-body's, enzymes, and of course, muscle tissue(not just skeletal muscle tissue either). These are all comprised of amino acids. 9 of the amino acids the body can't make so it is dependant upon diet to supply these essential amino acids(10 are essential for infants). Grains, legumes, fruits, and veggies all contain proteins. They all lack one or more of the essential amino acids, however, which means other foods with the missing amino acid/s must accompany other non complete proteins in the diet. Atheletes/bodybuilders see protein as strictly the muscle building nutrient, which it indeed is, but protein is much more. Proteins are the action molecules of life. When protein intake is insufficient protein degredation will surpass protein synthesis and the body will begin to break down muscle tissue to liberate amino acids for other bodily functions. Size and strength then will wltimately be lost. Further lack of protein will inhibit the synthesis of receptor, transport, nuerotransmitter, and enzyme proteins. This inevitably will lead to the death of the organism. This would occur through starvation. So not only would you shrivel away to nothing, but you would would die and thus look like complete shit in your casket. Not a good way to leave a final impression. Proteins are essential for LIFE, not just muscle growth. We, bodybuilders/weight trained athletes use protein to grow muscle tissue to improve size and contractile ability, the body has other ideas, however, in times of inadequate nourishment.

You would die
This is correct. If you could only eat one macronutrient, assuming you get water and necessary micronutrients, you would die very soon if you could eat only carbs alone or fat alone. However, if you had to eat protein alone, you'd last much, much longer. Add some essential fats and your all set, no need for carbs in terms of survival.

Top Bottom