Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what causes ketosis in the ckd???

"Hey guys,

I think that you are a little confused about the whole process of ketosis. Have you ever heard the expression "fat is burned in a carbohydrate flame"? Well this in fact is true. You see, to copletely mobolize(burn) fats, a small amount of carbohydrates are needed for the process. When not enough carbs are consumed in the diet, Ketones or ketone bodies are formed. The ketone bodies are actually incompletely burned fat molecules...a wastproduct caused by the lack of carbohydrates. These ketones can be harmful to the body. This is why many bodybuilders (such as Arnold) suggest that you should limit your carbs to stay JUST out of ketosis on a low carb diet. You guys probably think that I'm full of shit, but that's what I learned in my nutrition class the other day...I'll take the textbook's word for it."

Hey QUIGS, let someone who has graduated college, taken several nutrition courses and finished his degree in Microbiology explain it to you.

First, listening to nutrition teachers and the information in the textbooks will do one thing...keep you stupid. In my experience (and I was a Dietetics major at one time and have several Dietician friends), this field is so far behind the times, scientifically, it is pathetic. If it ain't food Pyramid, low fat, low animal protein and low cholesterol, they won't know it.

Second, the old adage that "fats burn in a carbohydrate flame" is only dealing with a normal diet and normal metabolism. This has to do with the fact that normally fatty acid oxidation occurs simultaneously with carbohydrate oxidation, and the ratios fluctuate depending on exertion. When one begins to restrict carbs and induces dietary ketosis, this all changes.

Third, ketones are a byproduct of fatty acids, but they are not waste-products. They are fractured lipids, which are oxidized more rapidly than fatty acids (in fact, cardiac tissue prefers ketones), and they ONLY cause problems when one is Type I diabetic. If they did cause the keto-acidosis, that Nutrition teachers like to claim, then there would be alot of dead epileptic kids from Johns Hopkins Hospital, along with millions of keto dieters.

If you stick around, you will read alot about keto diets, and get more technical information concerning the biochemistry of this phenomenon. If you don't you will be a good candidate for a Dietetics major.

Top Bottom