Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need help with sugar cravings.Life time habit.

ELEcKTRA

Ive been eating sugar and sweets all my life and I have a serious weak spot for them.How do you girls deal with this kind of problem if you have it?I hate the fact that no matter how dedicated I am with my diet I always want to buy a few really bad things when food shoping.My husband constantly yells at me about it because he has started eating more sweets since weve been together and hes always telling me how useless sugar is.Can you guys give me some tips on how to deal with this crappy habit? :RADAR

I drink a diet soda or have a chocolate protein shake.

I've found that, with time, my cravings for sweets have significantly decreased.......just resist it -- 1 craving at a time....

If you schedule your cheat meals (1/week or 1 cheat day / week) then you can save your sugar junk for those meals without destroying all your progress w/ your diet. You also notice that if you clean out the junk, eventually even for the cheats you either dont' crave the junk as much or dont' enjoy it as much when you eat it. I think its something that is appropriate to accommodate in moderation instead of trying to completely pull it out of your diet because the only successful diet is one that fits your lifestyle and your life.
Drink lots of water and during the first couple weeks you might have to make a conscious effort to hold off on the cheats until your scheduled cheat, but part of that is just establishing the habit. Allow yourself fun "rewards" that aren't food to keep yoru mind from fixating on the sweets as a reward. Stay busy. Don't sit down in front of the tv when you are hungry, etc. All sorts of things you can do -- if you can identify when you tend to head for the junk food, you can avoid those situations or create alternate habits. E.g. munching in front of the tv at nite. Leaving the grocery store, etc.

And like Jens said -- look for alternate "sweets" -- cup of good coffee w/ some splenda, a diet soda, Crystal Lite, chocolate protein shake. Sugar free ice pops. Sugar free / fat free jello. Natural peanut butter. Etc. I noticed I developed a huge appreciation for grillled chicken when I first started dieting. Or your favorite spice on your steak, stuff like that.

Everything Sassy said -- and along her lines of "moderation" if you crave chocolate -- HAVE IT!! BUT have really really really good expensive chocolate & not the processed "drugstore candy bar" kinds. Dark chocolate is high in anti oxidents and if you get the really good stuff, 1 piece will be all you need.

I eat a spoon of natty peanut butter if I really want something sweet or worst case scenerio I have some yogert and raisins.

Natural peanut butter, almond butter, plain greek yogurt with berries, or a whey shake blended with water and a lot of ice. Like a slushy.

I like to have a diet root beer w/ a dollop of frozen lite cool whip!! Or sugar free jello w/ coolwhip. Mmmmmm!!!!

ELEcKTRA said:
Ive been eating sugar and sweets all my life and I have a serious weak spot for them.How do you girls deal with this kind of problem if you have it?I hate the fact that no matter how dedicated I am with my diet I always want to buy a few really bad things when food shoping.My husband constantly yells at me about it because he has started eating more sweets since weve been together and hes always telling me how useless sugar is.Can you guys give me some tips on how to deal with this crappy habit? :RADAR

Try reading any of the books by Nancy Appleton, Ph.D., but in particular "Lick the Sugar Habit." I got my copy on Amazon for a couple of bucks. Eating refined sugar is worse than useless, it's B-A-D for your body, actually suppressing your immune system and weakening your bones.

I lost all abnormal cravings for sugary foods (and starchy foods) after I went on a candida diet to deal with health issues that arose from systemic candida. Not necessarily saying that's your problem, just telling you what worked for me :)

Top Bottom