Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lactose in cottage cheese VS lactose in whey

Shinobi

Everybody know that when cutting you "should" avoid dairy products. From everything I read there are only 2 possible reasons 1) cottage is high in sodium or 2) lactose make the skin thicker
So what about the lactose that most of the whey protein has? That doesnt make the skin thicker too? Or if the sodium is the problem, eating cottage cheese is as bad as eating tuna? cause both are loaded with sodium. If the sodium is the problem, its ok to drink unsweetened yogurt? I dont think yogurt has sodium.
Let me know what u guys think. I love dairy products and I just hate all this talk about no dairy while cutting if I didnt read yet an understandable answer that can convince me to quit eating diary products while cutting

dude its not dairy products u wanna void

avoid the milk.. just have water instead

cottage & low fat yogurt are still acceptable snacks. and sodium doesn't make you lose more fat, it just affects your appearance at the time (a day).

yogurt is very poor in lactose since the milk is fermented

Anthrax said:
yogurt is very poor in lactose since the milk is fermented

...And the lactose that yogurt does have, has already partially been digested by the live bacterial cultures. (I think.)

Most commercial yogurts have a ton of sugar added to them to make them palatable, though, so you need to read labels like a hawk.

More info about yogurt (source Dannon):
Yogurt is produced by culturing cream and/or milk with live and active cultures. The cultures in yogurt are living organisms. Yogurt that is produced in the United States is made with two specific live and active cultures - Lactobacillus bulgaricus (L. bulgaricus) and Streptococcus thermophilus (S. thermophilus). Milk could not become yogurt without the addition of cultures. L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus metabolize some of the milk sugar (lactose) in the milk into lactic acid. This action helps change the consistency of liquid milk into yogurt.

L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus are required by U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards in order for a product to be called yogurt. Other cultures may be added but are not required. The live and active cultures in DANNON yogurts are selected by the Culture Research Laboratory at the Daniel Carasso International Research Center just outside of Paris and are isolated from nature.

The Yogurt Guarantee

Because the live and active cultures make yogurt "yogurt," buy products that have a sufficient amount of cultures. To ensure that the yogurt you buy has a sufficient amount of live and active cultures, look for a label that states "with active yogurt cultures," "with living yogurt cultures" or "contains active cultures."

All DANNON cup yogurt products carry the National Yogurt Association's Live and Active Cultures (LAC) seal. This seal identifies those products that contain significant amounts (at least 100 million active cultures per gram at time of production and at least 10 million at the end of shelf life) of live and active cultures. DANNON guarantees that all of its yogurts meet the LAC standards for active L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus at the time of purchase. You can be sure you are getting yogurt with sufficient amounts of cultures when you choose DANNON.

If yogurt is heat-treated or pasteurized after culturing, the cultures are destroyed and most of the properties of live and active cultures are lost. In addition, some yogurts, even if they are not heat-treated, have extremely low levels of cultures to begin with. The milk used in DANNON yogurt is pasteurized before the cultures are added. Yogurt should be eaten within the week following the "sell by" date in order to take full advantage of the amount of live and active cultures present in the yogurt at time of manufacture.

Lactobacillus Acidophilus - An Added Feature From DANNON

DANNON adds a third culture to all of its refrigerated cup yogurts -- Lactobacillus acidophilus (L. acidophilus). L. acidophilus is one of the three most commonly used cultures in yogurt. The amount of L. acidophilus in yogurt does not currently appear on the label. L. acidophilus levels cannot yet be accurately measured in yogurt yet because it is present in combination with other cultures.

If You Are Lactose Malabsorbant (Intolerant) ...

There are some people who have trouble digesting lactose, a carbohydrate in milk and milk products, because their intestine does not produce enough of the enzyme lactase, which is necessary to digest lactose. This condition, called lactose intolerance, can cause bloating, cramps, gas or diarrhea. If you avoid milk for this reason, here are some suggestions to help you get the calcium you need:

* Try yogurt that contains live and active cultures. The friendly bacteria or cultures "pre-digest" or break down the lactose. For this reason yogurt may be tolerated.
* Drink milk in smaller amounts and preferably with other foods.
* Eat combination foods that have a dairy ingredient, such as pizza or macaroni and cheese. Additionally cheese may cause less discomfort because hard cheeses contain very little lactose.

Top Bottom