Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why do my knees hurt so much?

Slyder190

Sorry but I need to put this thread in a high-traffic area. My kness have been hurtin more and more the past few weeks. Last week I didn't even squat. They were still hurtin from leg extentions. They are on the sore side all the time even when out of the gym. I honestly think sdquats have brought this on. The exercise is not for everyone IMO. Even with good form. I went back to doing them early last fall on was fine for a long while, but it's starting to take it's toll. My doc once told me find a new exercise, as they are terrible for the knees when you start adding on the weights. I ignored him, but now am thinking he was right. Anyway, what should I do? A week off from squats didn't help.

I dont think squat are bad for the knees if done absolutley correct. Squats are a very complex exercise, and if done incorrectly can lead to knees injuries or irritations. A lot of ppl do them correctly until the weight starts to get heavy(they sacrifice form for weight). Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saying you have been doing them wrong! I can tell you it does cause stress on the knees anyway. In other words, if your knees are irritable already, I would suggest not doing them. You will want to take the leg ext's out also for the time being. If you have access to a machine hack squat, give that a go. If not, I would suggest doing some isometric excercises while the pain is still there(wall sits being one of them). Give your knees a rest before you really injure them! Good Luck and hope your knees recoop!

I have had a bum knee and surgery from an old hockey injury since the time i was 15..It is possible squats may be causing you problems..I will say this though every Dr. i have been to, (even a pro hockey dr) all suggested strengthening the muscles around the knee..Leg extensions are the best way to do that..no offense gohvy, but i think hack squats will only cause more pain on your knees..Im not sure of your strength but lunges would also be good choice..take them slow just using your own bodyweight..

Thanks for the replies. Could be from seated calf raises with cushion directly over my knees, but I doubt it. I switched to a different exercise than that anyway, so we will see. Strictly leg ext for the time being also.

A year ago my knees were so terrible I couldn't even sit in a chair for 1/2 hour at a time with out them throbbing and aching. At that time I was doing a tremndous amount of stair exercises and sprinting. I grew up ski racing and thought that I'd probably just worn all of the cartilage away. A friend of mine told me to try those gay little straps that you wear over the patellar tendon just below the knee cap. It worked like a charm! After wearing them pretty much every day for 6 months the pain completely disappeared. I'm back to squatting heavy, running stairs and sprinting without the slightest bit of pain. I don't wear the straps anymore but I do take glucosamine and chondroitin in my daily mix of supplements. Try the straps it may just be the fix you need.

monkey arms said:
A year ago my knees were so terrible I couldn't even sit in a chair for 1/2 hour at a time with out them throbbing and aching. At that time I was doing a tremndous amount of stair exercises and sprinting. I grew up ski racing and thought that I'd probably just worn all of the cartilage away. A friend of mine told me to try those gay little straps that you wear over the patellar tendon just below the knee cap. It worked like a charm! After wearing them pretty much every day for 6 months the pain completely disappeared. I'm back to squatting heavy, running stairs and sprinting without the slightest bit of pain. I don't wear the straps anymore but I do take glucosamine and chondroitin in my daily mix of supplements. Try the straps it may just be the fix you need.
This is called Patellar Tendonitis. However I dont think this is his problem. I wouldnt recomend Hack squats though as they are among the hardest exercises on the knee. In my experience with my clients (even seasoned experienced lifters) 90% of them think they are doing squats correctly. The fact is that there is one single cause for over 80% of all knee pain in people who perform squats. If your toes are pointed in any direction other than DIRECTLY straight ahead there is an extreme inward twist placed on the ligaments, tendons, and cartalge of the knee. Any flexion in the hip causes inward rotation at the knee. By pointing the toes outward you are only pushing to the extremes the degree of the twist in the knee. Bottom line, unless you are a powerlifter there is absolutely no benifit to doing squats in any other manner. Some make the argument that it is bennificial for athletes to perform squats with the toes poointed outward for the simple fact that they can perform the squats with more weight. This is false. An athlete needs most of their strength in the form of explosion. Where will most of this strength coe from? The hips and glutes. By performing squats with bad form these muscles are placed in a shortened position. This limits the length tension relationship reducing the ammount of force the can provide. Sorry im going way off on a tangent but I think its nessecary in order to pound the myths and bad habits out of people that they understand y what they are doing is wrong. For now take a light break, have your knees checked by a doc, the cut the weight youve been using for squats by 2/3, and start performing them correctly. By the way when a doc tells you squats are hard on th eknees he is saying that; assuming you are like the other 90% of the gym population perform ing them wrong. Hope this helps.

^ Agree hack squats are terrible for a bum knee.

Slyder190 is the pain right behind the kneecap?

RADAR

Heres what i would suggest, I have a similar problem.
QVC Has a tropical spray called "stop Pain" they don't list the ingredients but do say its fortified with Glusomanine & MSM
of all things i have tried, after switching to this has made a 90% improvement in my knee problem.
Spray it down twice an hour or two before bedtime.
it runs about $10.00 but in my opinion that was the best ten bucks i have spent in a long time.Give it a week or two before continuing squats.
If you continue to do squats use a wide stance and slowly work up the weight.

RADAR

My elbows been hurtin' lately....was told to cool the weighted pull-ups,have had knee pain in the past too,how tall are you slyder?I am 6'4"/220lbs think that is my problem,long legs,I would cool the wieght and work on form,what waterboy said,"blue Emu"also very good topical for joint pain,also made with Glucosamin/chondroitin,find it at wal-mart,about 10.00 too,but if used regularly works well,good luck.

Top Bottom