Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

MRSA - Staph infection. Share your experiences.

Powerbuilder333

Timeout? No, timeouts are for Plats
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735

I was diagnosed with MRSA today.
Tuesday I had what I thought was a zit or ingrown hair on my upper inner thigh. It got bigger so I thought it was a boil. It got huge (bigger than my hand) and I thought it was a karbunkle.
So I went to the Quick Care and found out it's a serious anti-biotic resistent staph infection.
The doctor cut it open and drained some of it - but he couldn't get very much of it. I have to go back tomorrow for some more fun. I'm supposed to keep a warm moist towel on it and take 3 different types of anti-biotics.
Doctor said he see's this type of infection everyday now, where 3 years ago it was rare.
Nurse says staph bacteria is wide spread in Gyms.

I'd appreciate any first hand knowledge EF's can offer on this subject.
Thanks.

Powerbuilder333 said:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735

I was diagnosed with MRSA today.
Tuesday I had what I thought was a zit or ingrown hair on my upper inner thigh. It got bigger so I thought it was a boil. It got huge (bigger than my hand) and I thought it was a karbunkle.
So I went to the Quick Care and found out it's a serious anti-biotic resistent staph infection.
The doctor cut it open and drained some of it - but he couldn't get very much of it. I have to go back tomorrow for some more fun. I'm supposed to keep a warm moist towel on it and take 3 different types of anti-biotics.
Doctor said he see's this type of infection everyday now, where 3 years ago it was rare.
Nurse says staph bacteria is wide spread in Gyms.

I'd appreciate any first hand knowledge EF's can offer on this subject.
Thanks.
Damn bro! Thats strange because my buddy just got over the exact same thing in the exact same spot. He had to spend a day or two in the hospital because they could not figure it out.

stapf infections have increased big time here in post-katrina new orleans. perhaps because what all was exposed with the flood water, what all was put in the air when old buildings were demolished or because of what all was brought in by south of the border workers.......who knows.

i've had 4 in the last 2 1/2 years.

mine never got as advanced as yours; always caught them early. mine started as pimples/skin blemishes on my upper lip/chin that didn't look "quite right".

a freind of mine had one on his left glute like yours; he procrastinated so long he had to be admitted to a hopsital for 10 days before it was minimized.

Powerbuilder333 said:
Four? Damn!
Thinking back, I've had other boils and tiny spider bites that eventually went away.
yeh, NONE all my life until nov 2005..then 4 in a couple of years... :worried:

Although MRSA is increasing in the community, you cannot be definitively diagnosed with MRSA until it is culture proven. If they took a culture and are using those results to diagnose you with MRSA, then you truly have it. If they just looked at your abscess/cellulitis and said you have MRSA, then you only have about a 20-40% chance of having it (depending on your community; although some communities have 70% MRSA rates).

MRSA is diagnosed when a culture grows Staph aureus, and when antibiotic testing indicates resistance to methicillin/oxacillin/penicillins. From that point, you will need either vancomycin, Bactrim/Septra, or rifampicin to treat MRSA infections.

If you do indeed carry MRSA, you should also be treated nasally with Bactroban since MRSA is carried in your nose.

Finally, people are alarmed by this "superbug," but in all reality, this has been a problem in public health for the past 25 years. It has only now emerged in the community, but it has been one of the few resistant bugs (MRSA, VRE, etc.) that are rampant in hospitals. The only problem with CA-MRSA (community acquired-MRSA) is that some of the strains seem to be more invasive than others.

Regardless, there are still antibiotics that treat it, and there are antibiotics available that can keep you from being a carrier. 30% of the population carry Staph in their nose, and those that do who have documented MRSA should receive Bactroban to eliminate it.

swatdoc said:
Although MRSA is increasing in the community, you cannot be definitively diagnosed with MRSA until it is culture proven. If they took a culture and are using those results to diagnose you with MRSA, then you truly have it. If they just looked at your abscess/cellulitis and said you have MRSA, then you only have about a 20-40% chance of having it (depending on your community; although some communities have 70% MRSA rates).

MRSA is diagnosed when a culture grows Staph aureus, and when antibiotic testing indicates resistance to methicillin/oxacillin/penicillins. From that point, you will need either vancomycin, Bactrim/Septra, or rifampicin to treat MRSA infections.

If you do indeed carry MRSA, you should also be treated nasally with Bactroban since MRSA is carried in your nose.

Finally, people are alarmed by this "superbug," but in all reality, this has been a problem in public health for the past 25 years. It has only now emerged in the community, but it has been one of the few resistant bugs (MRSA, VRE, etc.) that are rampant in hospitals. The only problem with CA-MRSA (community acquired-MRSA) is that some of the strains seem to be more invasive than others.

Regardless, there are still antibiotics that treat it, and there are antibiotics available that can keep you from being a carrier. 30% of the population carry Staph in their nose, and those that do who have documented MRSA should receive Bactroban to eliminate it.
thanks to scripts and doc samples, i have started using a small dab of bactroban nasally each am as a precautionary measure.

Top Bottom