Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Increasing Squat Poundages: Swains Methods

Zander1983 said:
Dr.Bones, I think it depends on how you squat. If you squat very wide, PL style, then quads are of less importance both tracking and strength-wise. However, a more standard narrower stance increases the importance of having strong quads, so things like bulgarian squats and front squats need to come into play.

ya, dave tate has said in many articles he wrote that quad work is pretty useless.

Muscular imbalances are somewhat dependent on genetics. My quads grow very easily so my only concern is preventing the hams and glutes from falling to far behind.

louden_swain said:
box squats tonight. . 6 or 7 sets worth.

Here was my rep scheme:

6 x 5,5,5,4,3,2 (moderate weights)

When coming out of the pause, my knuckles smashed into the uprights. . . there was some blood and swelling involved;). . . didn't stop me from training.

Finished the session off with some:

Good Mornings:

4 x 10,8,5,3

Leg Presses

2 x 8

Also had some bicep and forearm work:

Seated Alternate Dumbbell Curls - 4 x 10
Behind the Back Wrist Curls - 4 x 20,12,10,6

Louden, I cannot believe how much intense, low volume training can be beneficial. I am doing 1 set per exercise right now, very intense, and seeing enormous gains. I am glad that someone else, who is also experienced, is training similarly to me, and seeing similar gains. By the way, it may seem deceptive for people who are not familiar with your training, but the above sets were done at a very light weight, thus the increase in sets, correct?

Dr.Bones, I think it depends on how you squat. If you squat very wide, PL style, then quads are of less importance both tracking and strength-wise. However, a more standard narrower stance increases the importance of having strong quads, so things like bulgarian squats and front squats need to come into play.

Knee tracking is essential for everything from walking to squatting... If you knee isn't tracking properly you're going to have a difficult time moving your knee period... wide stance, close stance, balarina dancing :p

ya, dave tate has said in many articles he wrote that quad work is pretty useless.

Muscular imbalances are somewhat dependent on genetics. My quads grow very easily so my only concern is preventing the hams and glutes from falling to far behind..

This may be true and you are lucky that you have good quad genetics and don't have any problems.... but... don't you think it would be smarter to play it safe and not neglect a muscle group as prentative maintenance? Not every person has great quad genes... and it is mainly the VMO that aids in knee tracking...
If i was to do it all over again... I wouldn't have necessarily payed more attention to my quads as a whole.. as they aren't lacking.. but pay mroe attention to my VMO...
(this is just meant as friendly debate... no flaming intended)

Sorry for hijacking this thread...

Top Bottom