Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

calcium

freekgirl

Hi ladies,
I can't remember where I read or heard this, but I understand that you should separate the times at which you take your calcium/mutivitamin supplements. I think it has something to do with the calcim blocking the absorbtion of certain vitamins. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can anyone confirm whether this is true? Also, if anyone has a study or article that they could post on this, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

freekgirl that's a great question. If either one of us was a platinum member I'm sure we could find the answer in the EF search funtion since I'm sure this specific question has been covered at least a few times. I searched for "calcium absorption" and I got 127 hits but only 5 were displayed due to my non paying status.

Platinum ladies, a little help purty please? :)

You can get more calcium absorbtion by space your doses throughtout the day and if you choose to do this try and avoid taking it with greens like spinach or beans and avoid taking it with fiber (wheat, bran, etc) which block absorbtion.

Some people try and take their multi's with a meal - in the middle of you meal. If you are taking vitamins and minerals in broken down forms avoid taking unchelated minerals with you vitamins - it screw with your digestion.

I've know people that take vitamin in the morning and all their minerals in the evening.

I'll look around and see if I can find any really good info about this.

1]Ca and Mg

calcium and magnesium both compete with absorption of other minerals
So, a multi-mineral supplement should be taken as well, at a separate time from your calcium supplement

2]Ca and Zn
Tuft's University has warned that taking extra calcium limits the absorption of zinc.

“Absorption of calcium is a little bit tricky. If a body overdoes calcium intact, perhaps by overdosing on calcium supplements, the body will absorb less calcium from the food it eats” (The Calcium Information Center, 1997 from “Non-Dairy: Something to Moo About, Inc.”). There appears to be good evidence that “Too much of a good things” is not ideal.

For instance: Too much calcium, especially from a non-soluble/non-absorbable source, can be responsible for kidney stones, bone spurs, urinary calculi, suppressed bone remodeling and mineral imbalances. In a study conducted in a group of men and women (aged 21-69 years), researchers measured the acute effect of a 600 mg calcium supplement on zinc absorption from a single test meal supplying 7.3 mg zinc. Zinc absorption was reduced significantly by 50% when the calcium supplement was given with the meal (Wood RI, Zheng JJ., High dietary calcium intakes reduce zinc absorption and balance in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 1997 Jun; 65(6):1803-1809). High intakes of calcium can inhibit iron absorption if both are present in the same meal (Whiting SJ. The inhibitory effect of dietary calcium on iron bioavailability: a cause for concern? Nutr Rev 1995 Mar; 53(3):77-80).

Top Bottom