Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What do your deadlift sets look like?

DL's...

I don't do standard deadlifts - they're redundant unless you compete in powerlifting competitions. I only do stiff-legged. Squats, lunges, front squats, SLDL, and leg curls will hit every lower body muscle (well, I do calf exercises too) and quite a few upper body.

I typically do 3-5 sets of SLDL, 2-6 reps. Moderate speed up, very slow, controlled speed down. Typically something like 405x2, 385x3, 365x4, 315x6 or 8. Not the most weight in the world, but we're talking SLDL not normal DL's, and with good form.

Clam - Many would consider the squat, front squat, lunge and leg curl combo very redundant. Full Deads are a core exercise for full development. There is no substitute for back training (other than olympic lifting).

Jswim - I like low reps on full deads with heavier weight. Standard would be sets of 5. 8 reps is high for me. I don't go much below 3 or 2. This is an exercise that really responds to low reps. Obviously lower reps would involve more sets and vice versus.

Clambake - deads are redundant??? WTF, I guess squats are too eh, because they are neck & neck when it comes to the best overall mass building excercise.

Jswim - Deadlifts are my last excercise on back day.

REGULAR DAY
==========
225 x 12 reps
315 x 6-8 reps
315 x 8-10 reps
225 x 10 reps

HEAVY DAY
========
225 x 12 reps
315 x 6-8 reps
360 x 4 reps
400 x 1-3
400 x 1-3

Then I crawl out of the gym - :D

OK, Clambake made one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read about bodybuilding. Deadlifets work and stimulate the most musculature of any lift. They stimulate just about everything. Add to that fact that you are able to handle very heavy poundage for deads and you have one hell of a combination for mass. Many muscle used+big weight=many big muscles. Deads are in NO way redundant and quite franly are the single most unique and effective lift there is. This is my dead routine:
(poundage still going up, it's the only lift I never seem to plateu on)
set1- 405/8reps
set2- 455/6reps
set3- 495/6reps
set4- 545/4reps

I never take deads to failure. I do them on back day with adequate rest between back and leg day.

i guess you could say that deads work the whole back half of your body but that only when i shrug at the top, i only do stiff legs cause my right knee is a peice of shit, and i mainly feel them in my ass, hams and low back. i thought they were supposed to hit total back, but like i said i only feel them when i shrug, can anyone give me some good stances to maybe feel SLDL better?...maybe in my lats

You can't always use enough weight in SLDL to stimulate traps (at least for me as my shoulders are fairly developed).

Use regular deadlifts - don't shrug at the top it's a waste and you look gay - go either conventional, sumo, or a narrower sumo style (sumo is hands inside the legs, legs wide). If your knee still gives you problems consider partials from the rack where only the top 1/2 of the lift is trained. Pull from just above knee level. Your lats, traps, and erectors will be destroyed- oh, you'll get thick fast too.

My knee bothers me more from leg training than these lifts as most of the weight is born by the hips when pulling.

Good luck.

Incidentally, increasing your deadlift will add mass and strength to almost every area of your body even though they aren't directly involved - i.e. arms and chest.

Now that the warm weather is here I find it hard to keep as strong as a grip due to heavy sweating. What do you guys use... chalk, wrist straps?

Top Bottom