Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training squats by yourself without a Powerrack?

I currently train this alone (no spotter or gym equipment). There are two things that concern me with doing this alone.

1. Safety. I am only squatting 100 pounds right now (5'7 140pounds) but sometimes when I am getting into my higher reps I feel a but shaky. If I ever lost my balance and fell forward, the bar could land on my neck or head and maim or kill me or something. Any advice? I don't wanna die!

2. Is squatting heavier weight possible alone? Because you have to lift the weight over your head to get it into position, so the amount of weight I do will depend on how much my arms can lift, and not how much my legs can push.

For 100% safety going heavy you need to know your own limits - I only try to push my limits with a powerack or spotter. But for you, it is of prime importance you get the form right. Wannabebig has a good long thread right now on squatting properly. Also, www.ast-ss.com has some good squating tips in the training and exercise section.

If I were you, and failed at the bottom, and Im 100% sure I cannot make it, just drop the bar off your back. Shouldn't be too hard.

Switch to front squats.Power clean the bar into position, then begin front squatting.If you work to the point of failure, and can't finish a rep, just drop your elbows, and the bar will fall forward with little risk of injury.I would try to avoid this, but if it comes down to it, this is something to keep in mind.The limiting factor here is the amount of weight you can power clean into position.Most people can front squat more than they can power clean, so you might want to drive up your power clean poundages concurrently with your front squat poundages.Try the fronts until you can buy or make a rack.This should work out pretty well for you.

Do you have a line of credit...maybe 600 bucks? Go to www.sportstrength.com and get their power rack...i've been searching the internet looking for a good rack and that thing is by far the best. Your credit card company may up your limit just by you asking. You need to at least get something, like the one at www.newyorkbarbells.com, would certainly work for the amount of weight you are using. If not, maybe you know someone who can weild metal pieces together and make you one? I would never squat without a squat rack or power rack. (I prefer squat rack)

Here is my new squat rack to do box squats in:)

B True

either go to a gym or get a power rack, as your poundages go up the risk of injury is greater. shop around, you can get a good one for about $300, email me if you want more info.:)

Squating without something to help if u get HURT or run out of strength is plain dangerous!!!! By something...I'm sure u can at least get a stand to place the bar in for about 50-100 bucks. Worth the investment IMO!!!

Top Bottom