Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is it possible to learn !!

K_O_S

Is it possible to learn how to defend yourself, with just books and dvd. Like Bas Rutten’s, or Krav Maga dvd set?
Thanx in advance.

To a degree.

Watching videos, reading books, then applying them to a heavy bag or some other piece of equipment WILL improve your striking power, conditioning and speed.

But there is never any substitute for a training partner and solid instruction.

The only problem for me is that the only school for martial are about 1 hours away and its only TKD and Karate.

you are not near any big city I take it?
just about every big city has at the very least a boxing gym somewhere

You have to make due with what you're given.

If you can, go to the school, even if it's only once a week. When at home, practice what your instructor has taught you over and over.

After all, it's much better than nothing at all--and there's nothing wrong with either Tae Kwon Do or Karate.

Its better than nothing....but far less than going to a class ran by a component instructor.

Yarg! said:
Its better than nothing....but far less than going to a class ran by a component instructor.

I disagree with this totally , as an Instructor , and heres why :

I have Teaching Cirtificates in what are Probably the two most Common CMAs Wing Chun , and Taiji (as well as Baguazhang) .

Over the years ppl have trained with me , or come to se me to "Help Out" with their "Home Instruction" or "Distance Learning" ...

This is almost ALWAYS a Disaster .

Why ?

No one to tell you "NO !" , mostly .
The easiset way to put it is that you WILL do it Wrrong ,and you WILL continue to do it wrong until someone Corrects you . This means that you WILL teach yourself Bad Habbits over time and you wont even know it , or WHY theyre bad habbits . There is almost NEVER a time when perfect For m FEELS Comfortablle , or perfect Structure for ANY movement comes naturally . Even if youre Tryuing to Mimic a form (Lets say , for an Overhand Right) that youre Looking Directly at , youre not looking Directly at YOU , and not from all Angles . So youre bound to Misalign your bodyu in some way m, and either Injure yourself at the time , or , worse at the time of an Emergency , when youre really in NEED of this skill that youve fooled yourself ionto thinking you have .

Youre FAR better off just staying in the Gym and getting FREAKY HUGE so that no one will want to mess with you , or can come close to your Strength . Assuming , of course , that you have competent Instruction THERE ...

Drop your ZIPcode and Ill see if I can find you something . Oh , and dont Down on TKDand KArate so much , you can learn a LOT from them , and they can take you pretty Darned far . Try sparring a TKD Olympic Qualifier and he/she will WEAR YOU OUT if not KNOCK you out ! Its not the "Fad" this week that MMA is , and there are some bad schools out there , but a GOOD school can teach you how to fight perfctly well . If the ppl are doing Full Contact and Continuous sparring (not stopping after each instance where someone has scored a "Point") then youre LEARNING how to deal with a Fight ! Its only when the Sparring is Tap-Then-Stop-Then-Tap-Then-Stop that the school is teaching you bad habbits .

Djimbe said:
I disagree with this totally , as an Instructor , and heres why :

I have Teaching Cirtificates in what are Probably the two most Common CMAs Wing Chun , and Taiji (as well as Baguazhang) .

Over the years ppl have trained with me , or come to se me to "Help Out" with their "Home Instruction" or "Distance Learning" ...

This is almost ALWAYS a Disaster .

Why ?

No one to tell you "NO !" , mostly .
The easiset way to put it is that you WILL do it Wrrong ,and you WILL continue to do it wrong until someone Corrects you . This means that you WILL teach yourself Bad Habbits over time and you wont even know it , or WHY theyre bad habbits . There is almost NEVER a time when perfect For m FEELS Comfortablle , or perfect Structure for ANY movement comes naturally . Even if youre Tryuing to Mimic a form (Lets say , for an Overhand Right) that youre Looking Directly at , youre not looking Directly at YOU , and not from all Angles . So youre bound to Misalign your bodyu in some way m, and either Injure yourself at the time , or , worse at the time of an Emergency , when youre really in NEED of this skill that youve fooled yourself ionto thinking you have .

Youre FAR better off just staying in the Gym and getting FREAKY HUGE so that no one will want to mess with you , or can come close to your Strength . Assuming , of course , that you have competent Instruction THERE ...

Drop your ZIPcode and Ill see if I can find you something . Oh , and dont Down on TKDand KArate so much , you can learn a LOT from them , and they can take you pretty Darned far . Try sparring a TKD Olympic Qualifier and he/she will WEAR YOU OUT if not KNOCK you out ! Its not the "Fad" this week that MMA is , and there are some bad schools out there , but a GOOD school can teach you how to fight perfctly well . If the ppl are doing Full Contact and Continuous sparring (not stopping after each instance where someone has scored a "Point") then youre LEARNING how to deal with a Fight ! Its only when the Sparring is Tap-Then-Stop-Then-Tap-Then-Stop that the school is teaching you bad habbits .

I don't see why you're disagreeing with my statement..
Home instruction is not the best, but sometimes you have no other choice. Ofcourse its better than nothing- obviously you are going to pick up bad habits , so thus; there is no substitution for a good instructor. And no ones discounting the benefits of weight lifting, but why not atleast try to learn something, as you lift weights. To give up before you even start... just does not seem logical to me.

But its really NOT "Better Than Nothing" .

Your natural Reactions are by FAR superior to what most ppl have access to or can decipher of the MAs on their own . MOST ppls Natural Response is "I Dont Know How To Fight , Therefore I Shouldnt" THAT is the BEST Response , but even IN a Fight your Reflexes naturally Prioritise . UNlearning those Natural Priorities without a fully mapped out plan as to the Whys and Wherefores of what youre doing is retarded . You will end up better off if you just Increase your Natural Attributes Exponentially , and use the reactions you were given at birth . In other words , what ppl usually THINK will work in a fight almost NEVER does .

Top Bottom