Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

No weight progress on bench press, help!!!

degscher

I started benching like 70 pounds with my stats being 130lbs 6'1" and around 7%BF, I'm now at 167lbs 14%BF benching 130lbs. I was doing a 5x5 with the same weight on all lifts. I'm now doing a progressive load 95x5, 105x5, 115x5, 125x5 and 130x5. I've been stuck at 130lbs for over a month, did a couple workouts with that number then I had to deload to 120x5, got back to 130lbs and still can't put more weight, the day after benching my pecs hurt, unlike with other workouts (squats, deadlifts) where I put weight every workout and none of the muscles used hurt.

Any advice on how to improve my benching? Will I just have to wait and keep benching 130lbs? Deload again?

I could use some advice here, thanks.

I started benching like 70 pounds with my stats being 130lbs 6'1" and around 7%BF, I'm now at 167lbs 14%BF benching 130lbs. I was doing a 5x5 with the same weight on all lifts. I'm now doing a progressive load 95x5, 105x5, 115x5, 125x5 and 130x5. I've been stuck at 130lbs for over a month, did a couple workouts with that number then I had to deload to 120x5, got back to 130lbs and still can't put more weight, the day after benching my pecs hurt, unlike with other workouts (squats, deadlifts) where I put weight every workout and none of the muscles used hurt.

Any advice on how to improve my benching? Will I just have to wait and keep benching 130lbs? Deload again?

One way you can break that platoe, is to increase your calories. Since you are tall and skinny, probably start off with 3.5k calories. But make sure its clean calories and lots of proteins and carbs. Good luck.

Use this to track your calories FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

I would increase your weight on the bench 5lbs maybe 10, get a spotter and push that shit up, do it until your spotter gets tired, take a few days off and the next time in you WILL see improvement. Its called working to the point of failure and it works for MOST.

As for the calories I think I'm eating enough since I'm gaining around a pound a week.

The 5th of the 130lbs is almost failure, I really struggle to push that thing up. I'm gonna try that though, maybe do 140lbs on my 3rd or 4th set?

My advice is to see a trainer. Not a buddy who took a 45-minute class to become a "trainer" at a public gym, but a real trainer.

Also, and probably most important, is to get a complete sports physical, including blood test, heart & lung health, and liver/kidney function. If that doesn't turn up anything out-of-range of normal, and if the trainer can't find any techniques that work for you, then you might be like me, and have a hormone deficiency. If that's the case, you might need prescribed testosterone, or other corrective treatments.

Charles

as long as your diet consists of quality protein i would say you are eating enough as the stats you have provided indicate the 37lb you have gained is 50/50 fat and muscle , i think the problem maybe the actual training , you dont say what your goals are , strength or mass , if it is mass then you really should be doing more than 5 reps , if it is strength then maybe cut back on volume , here is a trick i used to get my bench up to 3 x wheels a side -put 130lb into any rep max calculator and it will tell you what weight you will need for 8 reps or 10 reps etc . concentratre on getting stronger in those rep ranges and then you go back to your low reps and you will shit yourself when you see how much weight you are heavin , the other possibility is you maybe are not suited to the bench press , when i first started training all the bench did was make my tris hurt , i stuck to dumbells for ages and when i got upto a decent sized bell , i tryed benching 1 day and everything seemed to just slide into place

as long as your diet consists of quality protein i would say you are eating enough as the stats you have provided indicate the 37lb you have gained is 50/50 fat and muscle , i think the problem maybe the actual training , you dont say what your goals are , strength or mass , if it is mass then you really should be doing more than 5 reps , if it is strength then maybe cut back on volume , here is a trick i used to get my bench up to 3 x wheels a side -put 130lb into any rep max calculator and it will tell you what weight you will need for 8 reps or 10 reps etc . concentratre on getting stronger in those rep ranges and then you go back to your low reps and you will shit yourself when you see how much weight you are heavin , the other possibility is you maybe are not suited to the bench press , when i first started training all the bench did was make my tris hurt , i stuck to dumbells for ages and when i got upto a decent sized bell , i tryed benching 1 day and everything seemed to just slide into place

That 50/50 is what I calculated too, my goal for the moment is mass, when I get to where I want I'll go for strength/endurance.
I had the same problem when I started benching, my triceps would be really sore, they got bigger tho, on my left arm (weak one) I have stretch marks.
What you say makes sense to me because I was thinking about lowering weight and do more reps.

Top Bottom