Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Beached Whale Chronicles

Hey I was just curious have you ever done front squats with clean grip? In your videos you use arms across the chest. I've been using that too but I just started using clean grip and it hurt my wrists. Just wondering what you're thoughts were on both styles. Also, why do you hate bench press? It looks like you're weakest lift in comparison. I think you need to arch your back a little more, as Paul had better bench form:) What does he bench regular flat vs his 300 "crazy" style?

Whoa...thats a lot of questions. I'll answer them (to the best that I can and if I don't, ask me to re-explain myself) one by one:

1.) I have tried to do Front Squats with a clean grip. However, I have flexibility issues. So I do not use a clean grip. I do, however, use a modified clean grip as suggested out here: General Strength Training: Front Squat vs Backsquat and to illustrate this, check out this image:

2.) My thoughts regarding both styles? Umm...I like the cross grip because it feels better on my shoulders. I suffer from genetically lose shoulder joints and I have had many many dislocations on both shoulders. So, for me the crosswise grip works. BUT, I also like the clean grip using the straps (since I don't have much wrist flexibility). Really, it depends on which one you start with. The drawback with the Crosswise grip is that it becomes harder to maintain with heavier (this is a relative term, I know) weights.

3.) I hate the bench press because it hurts my shoulders. Since I have lose shoulder joints, the bench press is painful on my shoulders at times. I prefer CGBP a hella lot more. But, because I have this discomfort with bench, I focus a lot more on military press. I just managed to hit a 185 lbs strict military press weighing @ 190 lbs: IronScene | Powerlifting Videos I have a 185 lbs press (or 175 on a bad day) and a measly 225 lbs bench (or 210 on a bad day). I just don't find it comfortable which is why I am very slow and steady on that lift. I don't care much about it either so I don't stress too much over it.

4.) I do need to arch my back more but it hurts...Paul does have awesome form (not too good though because he needs to use more leg drive) because he did a LOT of pressing in his initial lifting. He used to be a bencher for the longest time lol... hahaha... Paul has a regular flat bench of 320 lbs. He weighs 220 lbs but if he was to compete he'd drop to 198 lbs (not that that matters in the least).

Am I making sense?

Whoa...thats a lot of questions. I'll answer them (to the best that I can and if I don't, ask me to re-explain myself) one by one:

1.) I have tried to do Front Squats with a clean grip. However, I have flexibility issues. So I do not use a clean grip. I do, however, use a modified clean grip as suggested out here: General Strength Training: Front Squat vs Backsquat and to illustrate this, check out this image:

2.) My thoughts regarding both styles? Umm...I like the cross grip because it feels better on my shoulders. I suffer from genetically lose shoulder joints and I have had many many dislocations on both shoulders. So, for me the crosswise grip works. BUT, I also like the clean grip using the straps (since I don't have much wrist flexibility). Really, it depends on which one you start with. The drawback with the Crosswise grip is that it becomes harder to maintain with heavier (this is a relative term, I know) weights.

3.) I hate the bench press because it hurts my shoulders. Since I have lose shoulder joints, the bench press is painful on my shoulders at times. I prefer CGBP a hella lot more. But, because I have this discomfort with bench, I focus a lot more on military press. I just managed to hit a 185 lbs strict military press weighing @ 190 lbs: IronScene | Powerlifting Videos I have a 185 lbs press (or 175 on a bad day) and a measly 225 lbs bench (or 210 on a bad day). I just don't find it comfortable which is why I am very slow and steady on that lift. I don't care much about it either so I don't stress too much over it.

4.) I do need to arch my back more but it hurts...Paul does have awesome form (not too good though because he needs to use more leg drive) because he did a LOT of pressing in his initial lifting. He used to be a bencher for the longest time lol... hahaha... Paul has a regular flat bench of 320 lbs. He weighs 220 lbs but if he was to compete he'd drop to 198 lbs (not that that matters in the least).

Am I making sense?

Yeah thanks! I have been benching 3-4 days a week on smolov jr for the last 2 months and have gone from 200-235 (I'm going for 255 tomorrow!) but have been having lots of rotary cuff pain. I'm gonna cut back after tomorrow. However my squat and deadlift are measly...need to work on them.

Yeah thanks! I have been benching 3-4 days a week on smolov jr for the last 2 months and have gone from 200-235 (I'm going for 255 tomorrow!) but have been having lots of rotary cuff pain. I'm gonna cut back after tomorrow. However my squat and deadlift are measly...need to work on them.
Impressive. Good luck on nailing 255. :)

Thats one of the things with these "programs" like 5x5, Smolov, etc which I don't like. They're just programs - thats not training. 99.9% ALWAYS end up either injured or hurting all over like you and your RC pain.

Fall 2009 Training
Mesocycle 15 - Week 4

Squat Day

Beginning Thoughts:

This is last night's workout. I have such a love-hate relationship with the Front Squat. I love FS and it hates me :(

Workout:

Front Squats:
255 lbs x 2 reps
275 lbs x 1 rep
285 lbs x 1 rep
295 lbs x FAIL
295 lbs x 1 rep
Oh man....This destroyed me. The bar rolled forward in 295 on the ascent and I had to dump it. I got the weight on my second attempt though.

Front Squat Cluster Sets:
(225 lbs x 1 rep x 4 minisets) x 1 set
(225 lbs x 2 reps x 4 minisets) x 1 set
Did 2 sets here. Tired the shit outta me. If anyone is wondering: you do clusters by choosing a weight, doing some reps, resting for 20 seconds, doing some more reps, rest for 20 seconds and then do some more reps, etc. I have these two sets on video but I warn you that they are VERY boring because of all the waiting around I did.

Cable Pull-throughs:
90 lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets

Farmers Walks:
110 lbs x 2 trips x 3 sets

Jackknife Pikes on a Swiss Ball:
BW x 7 reps x 2 sets

Videos:

Front Squats, Cluster Sets, Pull-throughs, Farmers Walks and Jackknife Pikes on a Swiss Ball. WARNING: VERY LONG!:
IronScene | Powerlifting Videos

Overall Impression:

The workout was pretty decent. I am happy with 295 on the Front Squats. The Cluster Sets were really difficult (mentally) to go through.​

Yeah front squats are one of my new favorite exercises now. They are in my opinion the hardest exercise to do heavy which is why I like them:D

Fall 2009 Training
Mesocycle 15 - Week 4

Pistol Squat Day

Beginning Thoughts:

Went in on Tuesday again....​

Workout:

Pistol Squats:
7 + 7 + 7 = 21 reps
My form went to complete shit come the 3rd set. I was pretty pissed off about this.

Pull-ups:
BW x 3 reps x 3 sets
BW + 20 lbs x 3 reps
BW + 35 lbs x 3 reps
BW + 50 lbs x 2 reps x 2 sets
BW + 40 lbs x 1 rep
Total Reps = 20
Decent session.

Banded Bench Press:
Orange short band x 10 reps x 2 sets
A friend of mine bought these bands so I thought I'd be the first to break them in :D

Renegade Rows:
50 lbs x 7 reps x 3 sets

Alternating 1 Arm 1 Leg Front Planks:
BW x 60 seconds x 3 sets
I got this one video.

Videos:

Pistol Squats, Pull-ups and Core Training:

Overall Impression:

I hope everyone's having a good week. Thanks for reading! :)

Fall 2009 Training
Mesocycle 16 - Week 1

Deadlift Day

Beginning Thoughts:

I went in last night got this workout in....I have finals going on this week and the next and I had just consumed 4 scoops of protein and 2 chicken breasts over the course of the whole day before I hit this workout.​

Workout:

Deadlifts:
415 lbs x 1 rep (91%)
435 lbs x 1 rep (96%)
455 lbs x 1 rep (100%)
455 lbs x 1 rep (100%)
425 lbs x 2 reps (93%)
I was supposed to get in 9 Singles but I slept in such a weird position my upper trap was hurting and in extreme pain and my form went to shit....I applied some tiger balm at night but it's still hurting today though the pain has subsided considerably.

Weird Ab Exercise:
BW x 6 reps x 3 sets

Pallof Press:
32.5 lbs x 12 reps
37.5 lbs x 12 reps
42.5 lbs x 12 reps
47.5 lbs x 12 reps

Videos:

Deadlifts and Core Training:

Overall Impression:

My diet has gone to shit recently but I am making changes. And I hope my trap heals up. I hate it when I get these tweaks...and I got it while sleeping!​

Top Bottom