Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone like lunges?

IronandGravity

I'm currently doing dumbell lunges after squats. Not sure if it puts on any mass, but it makes my gluts sore as hell so it's doing something.

Your thoughts on lunges compared to squats and what different benefit lunges provide?

I prefer BB lunges w/25s instead of db lunges. They wont put on mass like squats will, but really target quads & glutes.

Also, lunges can help w/strength imbalances or poor symmetry because they make the weaker or smaller side work independantly.

Lunges compared to squats? Different animals.

Squats are the best for legs. I don't think too many people would argue with that. But lunges are great for your hams and butt, right up there with SLDLs IMO.

Last edited:
i just did walking lunges last night
really have to concentrate though, keep balance and try to keep as much stress on quads as possible

did em 75# dbs, most i've ever done em with
people looked at me like i was nuts

MsBeverlyHills said:
I prefer BB lunges w/25s instead of db lunges.

Interesting.

Do you hold the BB like when you do squats?

I like the part about them helping your balance and strengthening your weaker side. Maybe I'll throw them in on my aux day, I beat up my legs on leg day enough as it is.

they are my #1 exercise these days...barbell across the shoulders...10 paces per leg per set

the only problem i have with bb lunges is finding room to do them
can't wait till the gym starts "cutting the fat" from all of New Year's

personally, i cant even do em. everytime i try i get a horrible pain in my groin, sorta like being kicked in the junk. dunno why, but its not worth the pain.

I like db lunges, but they are not part of my leg workout right now. I still do them occasionally, just to add something different. :)

Yes, they're a good exercise. Always finish off squats with them or step-ups. The only thing that's made my glutes sore. Do them for 2-3 sets of 6-8 with short RI after squats for unilateral strength.

I've been doing reverse lunges where you step back with your trail leg. Don't alternate either, it makes it easier. That is unless you're doing walking lunges for whatever reason.

Top Bottom