Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

advice for back routine

SoreArms

I've been doing a very simple back routine for a while and it seemed to work fine. I've only been lifting for a little over a year (and "seriously" for about 6 months), so I've tried to keep things simple. However, this has gotten pretty mundane and I think I'm ready to step it up a bit.

t-bar
lat pulldown
seated low row
rhomboids (fly machine)

(usually in that order)

I used to do bent over DB rows but felt that I could not hold the proper form on those to have them work properly (too much shoulder).

I already know you guys are going to tell me to do add some weighted pull ups, I'll start doing them with pure body weight first (if I can even do those). What are some other good exercises/routines you guys would recommend for the back. I've been thinking of starting to do deads but (even after reading a few threads here) I still don't know if they belong on leg or back day. It seems they work out your legs (hamstrings) a lot as well as you lower back and lats. What day do you guys do deads on?

I read Jkurz thread where he talks about doing deads for the back, but these guys have deadlifts listed as a thigh exercise, so it gets me a bit confused.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You are right...begin to do pullups or chins with your BW until you can get 10, then I think you should start adding weight

Instead of T-Bar rows you can do BB rows..under or overhand grip...these are very good..just try to keep perfect form as the form can goto crap pretty quickly...

You can do a Rack Deadlift if you want to put more emphasis on your back...that is get in a power rack and set the safety bars at knee level...then pull from there....this is a great exercise for the lower back\traps and takes the legs pretty much out of the equation

Also if your gym has a Nautilus or similiar pullover machine I would recommend using that....isolates the lats and a pretty natural movement for a machine...

InTraining said:
You are right...begin to do pullups or chins with your BW until you can get 10, then I think you should start adding weight

Instead of T-Bar rows you can do BB rows..under or overhand grip...these are very good..just try to keep perfect form as the form can goto crap pretty quickly...

You can do a Rack Deadlift if you want to put more emphasis on your back...that is get in a power rack and set the safety bars at knee level...then pull from there....this is a great exercise for the lower back\traps and takes the legs pretty much out of the equation

Also if your gym has a Nautilus or similiar pullover machine I would recommend using that....isolates the lats and a pretty natural movement for a machine...
great advice

InTraining said:

thanks bro,

we have a couple of racks that i can use. So would full deads also qualify as a leg exercise then, like if I wanted to alternate squats and deads?

SoreArms said:
thanks bro,

we have a couple of racks that i can use. So would full deads also qualify as a leg exercise then, like if I wanted to alternate squats and deads?

depends on the deadlifts-- sumos are more glutes/ regular stance is more back. I would keep squats on leg day & alternate bentover rows & regular deads on back day :)

MsBeverlyHills said:
depends on the deadlifts-- sumos are more glutes/ regular stance is more back. I would keep squats on leg day & alternate bentover rows & regular deads on back day :)
thanks, I'll give those a try

MsBeverlyHills said:

This is good advice...don't want to exhaust the lower back too much

i like my back routine a lot... 4 sets each, 12-15 reps
wide grip behind neck pulldown
wide grip front pull up
reverse grip rows
one arm dumbell row
Vbar front pull down

i read from an article from Ronnie =D.

BB rows!

Some exercises for variation: one handed cable rows (greater ROM), close grip chins (underhand grip &/or palms facing), hyperextensions (should not replace dls, but good accessory exercise)

MsBeverlyHills said:

Ok envisioning MBH doing bent over rows, Having severly dirty thoughts, losing ability to think and type..............

Great advice though I like doing squats one week and deads the next while giving back it's own day where I rotate through starting with rows low or bent over, T-bar row, or High pulls.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Top Bottom