Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Wrist wraps.....?

Since you're using a normal grip for your presses, the first thing I'd do is to make an honest assessment of how much your wrist is rolling back (toward your shoulder) when you're doing the presses. Ideally have someone knowledgeable watch you bench or take a vid.

The bar should be more or less directly over your forearm at all times when pressing. Many people with wrist pain of the sort you're talking about let their wrist roll back, or put another way place the bar too far up in their hand, so that the forearm muscles/tendons have to support the weight. Often times people may not even do it to the same degree in each hand and have no real idea that they are doing it, unless looking for it specifically.

Another thing you could try, regardless of whether you're doing the above, is pressing with a false/thumbless grip. Doing so often eliminates all wrist pain for people when pressing.

I used to have the same problem, you just really need to focus on squeezing the bar hard. In fact if you add in some extra grip work this should strengthen your forearm flexors and help keep your wrists aligned. I would avoid the false grip with the bench press. One wrong move and the bar could be crushing your windpipe.

Might consider trying a false grip, when you hold the bar with ur thumb wrapped around the bar your wrist are twisted slightly in... That combined with alot of weight is enough to cause some wrist problems. Some people are against a false grip there scared they will drop the bar, i dont think this is a real isue ive done a gazzilion reps an havent dropt it yet.... Worth a shot anyways and its free

I would avoid the false grip with the bench press. One wrong move and the bar could be crushing your windpipe.

I hear this every once in a while, always from people who don't use a false grip, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing this. I use a false grip personally and I don't feel that my grip is any less secure on the bar, nor have I ever dropped it. Even some powerlifters moving massive amounts of weight use a false grip, e.g. Dave Tate, who's benched 600+ with a false grip.

I can't imagine someone having such a weak grip on the bar, using a false grip or otherwise, that the bar could just squirt out of their hand. I'd imagine these same people would already be having problems with their hands sliding laterally down the bar even with a normal grip, if their grip is that precarious. Maybe if you had really tiny hands this might be an issue.

Thanks ill try the false grip as well and just start off light. For the most part it just seems like its the amount of weight sitting on my joint cause I hold it straight. It could be when I take it off the rack not being perfectly straight although I try to be. Thanks for all the help.

From My Droid!

i have a wrist problem so anytime i'm benching 315+ i just use sports tape on my wrist....mostly for piece of mind since i have had a wrist issue in the past

cato brought up a good point - make sure the bar is dug right down into the pit of your thumb, not up on the calluses. If your hand is bending way back when pressing you're loosing alot of pressing power by not having the bar aligned with your elbow.

Dave Tate actually did a youtube vid on how to use the false grip with maximum safety...

So my thoughts on the grip and wrist problem is really just my opinion, like i said since ive switched grips about 15 years ago i havent had any wrist problems and back then i was all natural with a max around 255lbs within the last couple years ive gotton my max up to 365lbs... So this thread got me curious an i did some googling and came up with a couple reads, one was from "mens health" magazine god there lame lol there against the false grip and say theres been deaths but u cant go back an ask the dead what grip they used, implying that they used a false grip pfffft and then theres another read that loves the false grip.... Both interesting reads but nothing on wrist pain but its still my opinion that it takes strain off you're wrist.

False grip for the bench press : Advisory - MensHealth

Get a Grip: Know What’s False

Top Bottom