Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why all need to DEADLIFT

Deadlifts are full body SATISFACTION :D

After deadlift day, I have this serene feeling of being "spent" - I think deadlifts make my body manufacture it's own drugs.

Help me with my venacular -- I was always under the impression that a stiff-legged deadlift with soft knees was a romanian deadlift. Are you saying that a romanian deadlift is actually a deadlift (variation) with an eccentric phase? And that a stiff-legged dl is just that -- a stiff legged dl?

Either way, I love deadlifting/romanian dl'ing/stiff-leggers/pin pulls -- mid 500s now (on conventional dl w/ eccentric phase), but I anticapate 600s when I get sumo (still w/ eccentric) figured out ... Pin pulls from above the knees are probably my favorite dl variation -- into the 700s (on a good day) with those...

A deadlift is where you pick weight up off the floor. That's it.

Everything else, including but not limited to keystones, SLDL's, and RDL's, is a variation of the deadlift, and is usually less compound by design.

spatts said:
A deadlift is where you pick weight up off the floor. That's it.

Everything else, including but not limited to keystones, SLDL's, and RDL's, is a variation of the deadlift, and is usually less compound by design.

The SLDL is a good compound movement and better for the hams than the regular deadlift but Spatts is right the regular dead is even more of a compound movement by nature....in fact it is the most compound of any exercise I think and thats why is it so damn good. Regular deadlifts will pack more mass and strength on your body than any form of deadlift and in not a few people even more than the squat.
If I could only do two movements I would limit it to deep squats and regular deadlifts...if I could add two more movements for the upper body it would be chest style dips with weight around the waist and palms up chin ups with weight.

Damn, come to think about it these 4 movements and a basic calf exercise, overhead press and abb exercise would make for a very effective complete abbreviated routine that would pack plenty of mass and strength on a person.

RG

RG:) :)

My squat form sucks to epic proportions but I love SLDL.

We switch off between bar and dbs...and yes too many people go to the floor.......and round their backs.....

No matter if I am going lighter or heavier (lighter being done with a more explosvie upward motion than heavier), my hammies are toast. I sleep better on Deadlift night and the next day feel like I have done something so incredible with my body.

I never used to do them but since, have definitely given my hams more growth. And my upper back and traps seem to be more solid as well.

Once again good post RG and great info from Spatts as well.

Oh, I had been under the impression that where you keep the weight on the way down -- closer as opposed to further away AND when soft knees was RDL.....but I am not certain and therefore stand to be corrected.

Gotta love the deads, I can dl more than I can squat. The dl have made a huge difference in the size of my hams and lower back. Really added quite a bit of thickness.

Funny thing to tell- in the gym I go to the owner gave me a hard time because the wts got a little loud-I told him that this is the way a gym is supposed to sound. Not like I drop the wts or lower them out of control. I've never seen anyone else there dl, oh well-valerie

Compound is actually defined by joint recruitment, not the number of muscles/muscle fibers used. To the best of my knowledge the actual movement in an RDL involves the shoulders and knees remaining stationary, and a raising and lowering at the hips to push the movement through. I suppose if you're adding the shoulder roll-back thing for the traps, that makes 2+ joints.

In terms of utility, the RDL is generally used to isolate the lower back or hamstrings. That said, I don't know of any movements that only involve one muscle of the body firing at a time.

Nice posts RG and Spatts. I'd like to know though ... does everyone here on deadlift day just DROP the weight after having picked it up? Really? If so, there must be a lot of irate gym owners out there ..., no? Do you drop it from the top, or lower it a bit, then drop?

Top Bottom