Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Who here is handy?

I think the hardest part of that job may be pulling up the old tile.
I did it once, and it was a pain (concrete sub flor). You can't just yank it up. The sub floor has to be smooth or the new tile won't lay flat. With a concrete sub floor that took a lot of chiseling, and even then it wasn't perfect. With a wood subfloor (I've never done it), you might end up damaging the wood, pulling up chunks of wood, and it will probably be a bitch to get the thinset/mastic completely off.

But that's just work. Doable.

Laying down new tile, no biggie, but if you haven't done it before, it might not look perfect, and the money you will spend to buy trowels, knee pads, nippers, a tile saw etc, might not be much of a savings compared to hiring it out.

The other thing is the wiring. I think those floors take a lot of juice, so you might not be able to tap into an existing circuit and might need to put in a new one and run wire to your main box.
You could hire an electrician just to do that part if you aren't confident with that.

Honestly, if the floor is in good condition (no other reason to replace it), I'd think about putting a heated mat in there in stead of a tear-out and total rebuild of the floor, which is what is likely going to have to happen if you want conventional hot water-sourced heated flooring. If you do decide to do the job, I'd recommend just planning on where on the floor you want it heated, as it's probably a waste to heat the whole 400sf; assuming that your house has heating that heats the bathroom over all.

Charles

Honestly, if the floor is in good condition (no other reason to replace it), I'd think about putting a heated mat in there in stead of a tear-out and total rebuild of the floor, which is what is likely going to have to happen if you want conventional hot water-sourced heated flooring. If you do decide to do the job, I'd recommend just planning on where on the floor you want it heated, as it's probably a waste to heat the whole 400sf; assuming that your house has heating that heats the bathroom over all.

Charles

Floor mats seems a little chincy, I'm leaning more towards electric over water seeing as water is 3x more expensive to install and more expensive to run. We're also considering installing some type of solar panels.

its like warmed hospital blankets, but towels...in your bathroom ftmfw

Top Bottom