Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Whats the best movement for outer tris

matt

Like hello
just wondering what the best excercise is for the outer tris in your opinion.
thanx
Matt

Cable pushdowns.

The tricep is a multi-joint muscle. Its origin is at the shoulder joint while its attachment is at the elbow. However, the lateral (outside) head does not attach at the shoulder, the inside head does. Therefore, the best exercise for stimulating that head specifically would be one in which the inner head is not on stretch. This equates to an "arms to the side" position...hence the cable pushdowns.

Be aware that it is extremely hard to encourage development of one specific portion of a muscle. Basically, when the the elbow extends against resistance, the entire tricep (all three heads) will always be contracting. You can only redirect the tension from one head to another in very small degrees irrelevant of shoulder position.

Cable pushdowns, yes, I'd use a rope handle...

From personal experience, an exercise that is called "overhead cable extension" (I think) worked really well for me on outer tris.

Done on a cable machine use a rope or triangle handle, facing away from the cable extend the handle above your head and in front of you moving only the forearms, keep the tris parallel to the ground.

hardgainer (!)

I like to do a giant set with the 2 exercises mentioned in the post above. Startout with pushdowns with the rope and make sure you spread the ends of the rope out when you get to the bottom of the movement. Then immediately do a set of the bent-over triceps extensions and make sure to spread the rope at the end of the movement. I usually use a 12-15 rep range for these. Rest and repeat for another set or two. I like to do these at the end up my triceps workout to burn them out.

Thanx but the only thing is i dont have access to cables only free weights. I was thinking of starting to go to the gym but i havent got the time at the moment.
Is there some sort of free weight excersise you could recomend that would target this area?

You can't make one tricep head grow more than the others.

Stick to basics for overall growth e.g. Close-grip bench, skulls etc...

LOOK you CAN to some point give priority to some head of the muscle. It is not just heavy weight. Virtually NOBODY will disagree that squats give way more outer and upper frontal quad development than heavy leg presses.

Important is: which joint is stressed most when you pull/push? Clearly leg presses stress the knee most, so it will enhance the teardrops there.

Squats place a lot of stress on hip flexors so muscles that insert into to pelvis will also develope.

Now as for pushdowns... mainly flexes at the elbow, but last part of the movement your long head comes into play as you pull back where it inserts into your rear delt

while a good bread and butter exercise it is just not brutal enough to make a significant difference if you are lacking in the outer tricep department.

Start your triceps workout with California presses.

UP: like close grip benchpress
DOWN: like French press, except, you lower to the upper chest and with much heavier weight!

It takes a while to get the motion right, but it is a killer and it improver your bench too!

:mix:

....nope, that would be to bold, i rather call it emphasize

and i agree with you that heavy weights is best way for overall development including the outer tri's

However advanced guys that already have solid mass and have learned and developed the neural pathways to concentrate on certain parts of their muscles can make some difference in shape... but it takes long time of religious dedication to do it...

- Larry scott and his famous biceps peaks and named after exercise

- Robby Robbyson, very famous for his horseshoe triceps, liked to do cross chest dumbell french presses to in his own description peak the outer triceps...

Yes, you can emphasise more head than the other, but this will not cause it to grow more, or faster than the other heads. So why waste your time looking for exercises that do one head more? Like i said, stick to the basics and go heavy.

'Outer triceps' will grow with 'inner' and 'middle' triceps. haha...

Top Bottom