Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What effect does coffee have?

What are the consequences of everyday, long-term, moderate coffee consumption?

• Positive

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • Negative

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • No effect

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters
There's a lot of conflicting research results on coffee, or more specifically caffeine. One result that appears to be pretty consistent though is that caffeine creates a transient (temporary) insulin resistance.

This means that for some amount of time after you drink caffeine your body's ability to shuttle glucose into your muscles will be reduced. This effect may be amplified if you drink your caffeine with cream and sugar or with a carb/sugar containing meal. If your muscles run out of glucose you won't be able to get a good workout.

Caffeine is cleared by your liver and everyone is different. If your liver is a bit compromised it could take yours 12 hours or more to detoxify the same amount that someone else could clear in half that time. Also, some people tend to naturally have a bit more insulin resistance (or problem getting glucose into their muscles).

Everyone is different, so just experiment and be honest with yourself regarding your results. If you find that you end up weak and shaky after 15 minutes of hard lifting if you've recently consumed strong coffee, don't do that anymore! ;)

I heard that exercise actually overcomes the insulin resistance. Sitting at a desk, yes we're going to have insulin resistance. The changes in the muscles from lifting overcome the resistance effect.

Coffee is great for me before a workout, and if I drink enough the energy is sustained.

However energy drinks are a little more convenient, I can just keep some in the car and not have to stop for a brew...

And for the side topic of energy drinks...diet vegasfuels also taste amazing, esp. since Im sick of monster, rockstar and redbulls. If you arent afraid to take in some simple carbs pre-workout, I find that the Monster Mixxed (w/ juice) give me an extra boost. Right now Im drinking sugarfree howling monkey haha.

I heard that exercise actually overcomes the insulin resistance.

Anecdotal?

I've never read any research that tested anything like that, Lummy. IME, the insulin resistance does indeed appear to be strictly temporary anyway.

I was given a glucose meter 4 years ago when I first got sick and have used it over the years to check the effects of table sugar, stevia, caffeine, various carb glycemic indices, and found what seems to be about a 4-5 hour window where my 12oz of strong coffee kept my glucose level raised if I drank it with even a bit of cream and sugar and some breakfast. I think it was coming out that hole that I'd get the shakes not long into my workout b/c I'd not gotten enough glucose into my muscles.

If anyone's interested, it's sometimes reported by stevia users that their glucose actually goes down after drinking coffee sweetened only with it. I tested that and found the same damn result. Amazing. Consumed on an empty stomach, mine drops an average of 10 mg/dl after 12oz of coffee with 2 tablespoons of half-and-half and 2 teaspoons of stevia.

I find that a black coffee 30 mins before workout works 10x better than any pre workout drink on the market, not really convenient when hitting gym straight after work though!!

I find that it can jack me up or make me tired, depending on the situation. It definitely stimulates appetite in the long run for me (don't eat, then crash, then want candy).

drink not too much coffee so don't know how to do that
smile.gif

Top Bottom