Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ways to build lean mass

stal84

How long do I need to workout? 45-hour?

How many days a week?

How much cardio, at what rate for leaning?

What should I do for work outs, example, arm day, what sets and reps, and how hard do I push

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk

Need to do some reading as there will be a lot of different opinions and most of us change it up.

An hour 4 - 5 x a week.

Diet determines if you are leaning or maintaining or bulking.

Generally every workout session should start with compound lifts (squats, deads, bench, shoulder press) so if your doing chest start out with 6 - 9 sets of bench press before going onto isolated movements. I like splits chest/tri, back/bi, shoulder/trap, legs/abs. As a rough guide I do about 14 sets for larger muscles and 9 sets for whatever i'm finishing off on. So on chest day 14 sets for chest 9 for tri. Look around and you can find programs to try.

Here is an example of a push pull program 4-5 Day Intermediate and Advanced Push/Pull/Legs Split Routine . I think Stevemsi has one floating around too.

You have to find pain, learn to love it and push some more reps out and eat like a bodybuilder.

How long do I need to workout? 45-hour?

How many days a week?

How much cardio, at what rate for leaning?

What should I do for work outs, example, arm day, what sets and reps, and how hard do I push

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk

There are only 24 hours in a day and I don't think its possible to work out for 45 hours.

I think you meant 45 mins. Charles Poliquin has repeatedly stated that hormones begin to decline after 45 minutes of intense workout, but I don't think it is a hard and fast rule.

As a rule of thumb beginners should aim for 45 mins to an hour workout.

As the poster above said, start with a programme based on compound movements using free weights. This means Bench, Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead press, Rows, Chins and push ups. Base your programme around these lifts. I personally do not subscribe to the bodybuilding dogma of training with split body parts. For beginners I always put my clients through the following:

The Programme

Day 1: Push (Bench 5x5; 50% 1RM max, Overhead press 75% 1RM 5x5, close grip bench 70% 1RM 6x4)

Day 2: Pull (Chin ups 6 x max reps with 3 pronated and 3 supplanted grip; Pendlay rows 80% 1RM 5x5; one handed DB rows for a total of 50 reps each side (Kroc style))

Day 3: Legs (Jump Squats 30%of 1RM 3x6; Squats 82% of 1RM 5x5; Lunges 10 x4)

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Push/Pull ( bench @ 75% 1 RM and row @80% 1RM complex; 5 for bench and 5 on rows), (Chin ups and push ups, super set max x 3), seated rows 10x3

Day 6: Rest

Day 7 : Deadlift 8x1, 5x3, 3x2, Kettle back swings superset with squats in ladder fashion (2 swings, 1 squat; 4 swings, 2 squats... till 10 swings, 5 squats), one handed DB rows (Kroc style))

This programme is meant to deal with all facets of stabilising muscles as well as building a solid foundation of strength, structural integrity and muscle balance.

Rep range.
As a beginner the stronglift 5x5 is a terrific programme. It teaches you the basic motor engrams that will engrain the lifting technique to your nervous system, making further progression easier, it also allows for some hypertrophy (Mass gain) and strength gains. I personally don't advice beginners to go on a hypertrophy centric programme based around the 8-12 reps parameters. Its not intense enough to elicit enough stimulus to elicit the grown of muscle fibres (myofibrillar tissue). All it will do is to stretch out your muscle fascia with sarcoplasmic fluid. You may look good to begin with, but the foundation is weak. Which is why you see gym rats looking all pumped up at the gym and then looking like a flabby worm 4 hours later.

Next thing, and most importantly is diet. Are you a skinny person to begin with (ectomorph)? Or a chubbier person to begin with? These will determine the amount of calories you need to facilitate mass building. As a general rule of thumb you should be taking 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight. But how you structure your carb and fat intake would have to be assessed based on your insulin sensitivity, body type and some history.

So let us know more, always glad to help someone interested in joining the iron brotherhood. Send me a PM if you want more info, I am a Poliquin level 2 instructor and can give you some pretty good advice.

Take it easy and hit the gym with vengeance and some goddamn testicular fortitude

Silent - out

Last edited:
Top Bottom