Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Walking vs running

Whats better for fat burning?

• walking

Votes: 81 29.2%
  • running

Votes: 165 59.6%
  • other: list

Votes: 31 11.2%

• Total voters
The reason that High Intensity Interval Training works better for fat loss is this: When you do a cardio session at the same pace the whole time, your body goes into what is called steady state. This means that your body has adjusted itself to the speed you are going and tries hard to conserve energy (calories). You will be able to avoid this and burn more calories and FAT by doing the interval training.

The easiest way that I tell people to do it is to start off at a good pace for 5 minutes. Then take up the intensity on the machine and go as hard and as fast as you possibly can for a minute and then bring it back down for a minute or two — however long it takes for you to recover enough to do it again. ANY cardio machine will work — I like the treadmill and the elliptical trainer the best.

Another easy way to introduce yourself to this kind of cardio without killing yourself right off the bat is simply to keep changing your speed and intensity level every two minutes or so — go up and down — challenge yourself. This will "trick" your body into burning more calories since it can not achieve steady state.

When it comes to the heart rate question— whether to stay lower or higher — this is your answer. At a lower % of max heart rate (65%), a larger percentage of calories burned come from fat than at a higher heart rate (75-85%). HOWEVER, despite the percentages, you will burn more total calories and therefore more total fat calories at a higher heart rate.

harbinator said:
I like walking up the highest incline on the treadmill, easier on the knees and gets the heart rate up there.

ditto to that.

I do alternating heights; 1 minute on 7% incline then 1 minute on 15% at 3.5 mph. It may not be running, but it helps kick my ass.

What ever brings your heart rate to 70% of your max. If walking at the highest incline setting wearing a weighted bodyvest is your duplication of an Ironman climb to the top then so be it! I do my cardio after my floor movements, burning 80% of calories for fat for glycagine glucose fructose and so on are long gone at my intesitiy

Tomek.. The HULK said:
"running doesn't burn fat, it defines muscle"

"Walking burns fat, after 30 mins"

Which is true and which is the ultimate fat burner??

Probably the ultimate fat burner for cardio is doing both. Start with a warmup, and then do a HIIT session for 15 min. Rest 5, then do a standard longer duration medium level cardio on perhaps a treadmill for 30-40 minutes.

Give it a go....

This might be of help to folks.....may be particularly noteworthy to note the part I made bold...but the whole thing is very interesting and pertains to this thread very well.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Jan;34(1):92-7. Related Articles, Links

Determination of the exercise intensity that elicits maximal fat oxidation.

Achten J, Gleeson M, Jeukendrup AE.

Human Performance Laboratory, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, United Kingdom.

PURPOSE: The aim of this study was to develop a test protocol to determine the exercise intensity at which fat oxidation rate is maximal (Fat(max)). METHOD: Eighteen moderately trained cyclists performed a graded exercise test to exhaustion, with 5-min stages and 35-W increments (GE(35/5)). In addition, four to six continuous prolonged exercise tests (CE) at constant work rates, corresponding to the work rates of the GE test, were performed on separate days. The duration of each test was chosen so that all trials would result in an equal energy expenditure. Seven other subjects performed three different GE tests to exhaustion. The test protocols differed in stage duration and in increment size. Fat oxidation was measured using indirect calorimetry. RESULTS: No significant differences were found in Fat(max) determined with the GE(35/5), the average fat oxidation of the CE tests, or fat oxidation measured during the first 5 min of the CE tests (56 +/- 3, 64 +/- 3, 58 +/- 3%VO(2max), respectively). Results of the GE(35/5) protocol were used to construct an exercise intensity versus fat oxidation curve for each individual. Fat(max) was equivalent to 64 +/- 4%VO(2max) and 74 +/- 3%HR(max). The Fat(max) zone (range of intensities with fat oxidation rates within 10% of the peak rate) was located between 55 +/- 3 and 72 +/- 4%VO(2max). The contribution of fat oxidation to energy expenditure became negligible above 89 +/- 3%VO(2max) (92 +/- 1%HR(max)). When stage duration was reduced from 5 to 3 min or when increment size was reduced from 35 to 20 W, no significant differences were found in Fat(max), Fat(min), or the Fat(max) zone. CONCLUSION: It is concluded that a protocol with 3-min stages and 35-W increments in work rate can be used to determine Fat(max). Fat oxidation rates are high over a large range of intensities; however, at exercise intensities above Fat(max), fat oxidation rates drop markedly.

Sprint intervals...... In the Marine Corps we had a drill we would do that would kick our ass. I'll try to explain

Exercices :
1-push up (30 count)
2-squats (20 count)
3-leg lifts (20 count)
4-mountain climbers (40 count)
5-side straddle hop (jumping jacks) (50 count)
6-bear crawl for 30 yards (10 times)

Start out by joging at a pretty good pace for 3min and stop and do exercise 1, get up and run for another 3min and go to the next exercise keep repeating until all exercises have been completed and start over again If you can. :chomp:

You can replace the exercises weekly to change things up, like replace bear crawls with stadiums. To make life miserable do this with a weighted vest or a "flack jacket" OOH RAH!

doesn't running turn your body anaerobic...?

this is not a good fat burning environemt, it's almost catabolic once you turn anaerobic...

i walk, or use the eliptical to keep the pounding off my joints...

Cardio and fat oxidation is so overrated. Cardio, whatever type you choose is simply again an extension of your diet. What you are effectively doing is adding a caloric expenditure to your diet(thus more of a calorie deficit).

Taking in the right nutrients to perserve muscle, and you shift hopefully to fat oxidation and muscle preservation.

There was some info quite a while back that more muscle mass, higher metabolism so you burn more fat at rest, and it was some astronomical amount like 45%. This in fact turns out not to be the case, it is something like a mere 6%. Not much to make a difference.

So what I am getting at with this last paragraph is that while you are doing your cardio, heart rate/metabolism will increase, but rapidly shift back to normal upon stopping, even with HIIT. It does raise metabolism a bit afterwards, but not to any extent that is advocated by everyone.

Diet folks, along with cardio as a tag along, is your fat burner. Cardio is a way to add to your caloric deficit.

As stated above me, diet is the most important thing to burn fat. Cardio depends on your heart rate. If you are not wearing a heart rate monitor or keeping track of your heart rate when you are doing cardio you don't know what you're doing.

Top Bottom