Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Walking vs running

Whats better for fat burning?

• walking

Votes: 81 29.2%
  • running

Votes: 165 59.6%
  • other: list

Votes: 31 11.2%

• Total voters
I personally do the interval training

I warm up and then go to a fast jog/spring for 2 mins then go back down to a jog for two mins then to the spring for a min then a jog for 2 and so on. This will help burn the most fat

My new favorite is intervals on a treadmill with the incline way up. I do 10 minutes warm up at 3.5mph at 10% incline, then 1 min at 6.0 then 2 minutes at 3.0, repeat. Doesn't sound like much but after 35 minutes (500-550 calories) you are pretty darn tired...

I tried bumping it up to 12% incline today, but that was way too hard and put it back down to 10 after 3 intervals lol

Roofus said:
Could not disagree more. The most shredded athletes on the planet are swimmers and sprinters. That is not low-intensity cardio. It is insanely high intensity cardio on short intervals. The people that lose muscle are long distance runners that keep up a medium to high heart rate for hours at a time. Short term super high intensity like sprinting or high intensity for 15-20min is not going to eat your muscle.

Exactly. Sprint intervals are the way to go. Burn more cals in less time. If your knees cant handle it, do intervals on a bike, or do some steep incline walking on a treadmill.

I mix it up. HIIT sprints 2-3 times a week FTITM and mix it up with incline treddie walks 1 day a week and moderate one time a week and brisk walks if I feel like it added on top of all that.

I dont think one way works better over the other. I think the same thing for too long will never work.

Interesting ; I like hearing about this. I've tried it all ; exculsivley and not so. Everything has worked and nothing has worked for long.

KidnKorner said:
Running on a tread mill is very different than running on a stationary surface.

Running on a stationary surface like a concrete sidewalk requires you to propell your own body weight, where you are only keeping up with the RPM of the belt running on a treadmill. Running on a staionary surface requires more effort, and persons can perform longer workouts on a treadmill than they could running on a stationary surface.

I didn't know or realize this. So what you are saying is, you will burn more calores running outside than on a treadmill?

Partagus said:
I didn't know or realize this. So what you are saying is, you will burn more calores running outside than on a treadmill?

This isn't an option for those of us with shin splints though. I can't run outside, but I can usually deal with 20 minutes on a treadmill. Typically I have to hit the eliptical though.

All depends on what you really want to do. Running would obviously be quicker, but you would expend more energy. The whole point of cardio is to elevate your heart rate. One would think that 30-40 min of cardio that would elevate your heartrate to say 160 ish would be better for you then say 15 min or running, or a few minutes of HIIT.

Just switched over to HIIT from long duration 2 a day Moderate cardio,
and it seems to be working better for burning the fat quicker than the 2
sessions a day of 45 min but less intensity.

Usually 30-40 minutes max, with several 4-5 minute intervals of Max intensity,
in between a moderate steady pace..

Either on the Bike, Inclined treadmil fast walk, Elliptical or Stairmaster.

My knees/ankles are also fried after 44 years of Soccer/Basketball/Life ..

I've wondered what is the best, I have seen on the treadmils at the gym that there are specific heart rates for fat-burning and for cardiovascular. I try stay on the edge of the fat burning and at the start of the cardio zones but i ahve wondered if these actually make any differance

Top Bottom