Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Upper Chest and Lower chest. Can they be trained?

CANT isolate upper/lower pecs

In my opinion... I would definitely say that its impossible to isolate strictly your upper or strictly your lower pecs completely. Every chest exercise that I know of activated your upper and lower pecs to a degree. Incline presses will push more of the stress onto your upper pecs and front delts however your not completely romoving your lower pecs from the movement.

here is what works for me

db flat

db incline

and the db decline

...... the reason is that flat is the mother of all and you can generally use more weight there .......(i know people can decline bench more but you didnt even list it so i doubt you even do it).... the hit your upper just for that stretch on the outside like musclefattie said......

the since your chest gets more stimulation from db decline then any other chest movement you do it last.... your tri's and your shoulders are fried so your chest takes the brunt of the stress.......

hey..... that and a ton of rowing for my back has increased my chest size 3 inches in just 3 months....

it worked for me

Overall Chest Workout

A good overall chest workout that Casey Viator had me try was:

1. Pec Deck Flyes * x 10-12
supersetted with
2. Incline Dumbbell Press * x 10-12

3. Flat Bench Press * x 10-12
4. Dips * x10-12

* I'm not going to list sets, because everyone handles volume differently. I did 5 sets per exercise, but not all of them were to failure. The intensity was pyramided, but the reps aren't. The first 2 sets of each exercie were light to moderate and the last 3 were intense. I believe everyone should cycle their training. I did this routine a while ago and I liked it. You only work chest once a week. If you want an intense workout, try this. What I've noticed is that a lot of the top pros like Coleman and Wheeler use heavy weights for high reps, around 10-15. I believe this is a great way to stimulate muscle growth. Lifting heavy weights at an higher rep range is challenging. If you're a beginner, I recommend doing now more than 4-8 sets total for each body part. I plan on doing this routine again soon. Just need to get back in gear from my long lay off. Always do 1-2 warm up sets and then take the last remaining set to muscle failure. And use different rep ranges if it makes you feel more comfortable.

teslet, EMG tests are very flawed. They are not capable of predicting hypertrophy for a number of reasons.

The upper and lower chest cannot be seperately targeted, period. I can prove it a million times, but some of you guys will just keep with that wishful thinking because of what some little guy ghost wrote in Flex magazine.

I've honestly been told that incline is far better than decline. A lot of the power lifters and strength trainers at my gym don't even do decline of any form. A lot of them don't even touch dumbbells anyway.

I do decline, but I do put a lot more emphasis on incline. Decline is going to build up more mass, incline is going to be where you can show off more definition.

Cackerot69 said:
teslet, EMG tests are very flawed. They are not capable of predicting hypertrophy for a number of reasons.

Come on Justin, i know you wrote that so someone would ask you why they aren't capable. I know why, but some of these lot don't, so get impressing! :)

This question can be answered if you think for a moment. What is the function the pectoralis major?, of the pectoralis mino?. Well form follows function.......

Exactly, the clavicular and sternal pectorals major share the same fuctions, origins, and instertions, and the pec minorm assists in all of these. There is one way to relatively isolate the pec minor, put your arms out in front of you and protract your scapula (push with your shoulders) w/o bending the arms...see that little muscle that contracts near your arm pit? That's the pec minor...note how little the difference is.

Top Bottom