Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Too late to start martial arts at age 30?

This right here is useful with specific fighting styles and is what peaks interest other than just statying MMA is what you need to train... with a bajillion mma places, thats not too helpful.

Like another guy on here, I am 30 with no real fighting experience but really want to start learning and getting into some type of martial arts but really dont want to waste my time and money doing months of "flowery" fighting that memorizes lots of poses but then when you try and use it in a real practical setting... i.e. as is someone picks a fight with you out in town for some bs reason or some jackass tries to be a jackass and you need to defend yourself or your loved ones or what not... you get the point ....

so what is the best specific fighting style, not to fight off and break the bones of 17 guys that all weight 250 lbs of jacked muscle and you suddenly pull out some Stephen Segal moves and beat all 17 of them....

no im talking realistically, what is the best for being able to actually fight.. in a street fight... out on town.. against one or two guys ... a practical real life fight situation, what style is best?

The top 3 I have looked into would be Muay Thai, Krav maga, or Jeet kun do (wing chun/ kung fu)... but then again i have heard you can be licensed to TEACH yes thats instruct krav maga just by taking a weekend class! and then is is easy and effective but you would learn everything there is to know in two months, and then again.. I am familiar with the isreali defense.. blah blah blah I know military martial arts programs are NEVER anywhere as good as civilian martial arts... OK so not bashing, I have heard good but I have also heard bad so please so post real life advice only from people who have actually studied different arts and used them in real life situations

... so back to the original question

no im talking realistically, what is the best for being able to actually fight.. in a street fight... out on town.. against one or two guys ... a practical real life fight situation, what style is best?

You left one out and this one is very essential when it comes to brawling in a club or at the mall any damn place for that matter and that is BOXING! You take the best of all three and incorporate it into a boxing style you'll beat the shit out of Steven Seagal and those "17 guys" won't have shit on you because you'll be sticking and moving! It's hard to hit a moving target. I'm over 50 years old and I still get the occasional challenges. Several things go through mind before altercations, possible death, jail time, and hospital bills. I chose the jail time because it's only $100.00 to bail myself out!

You left one out and this one is very essential when it comes to brawling in a club or at the mall any damn place for that matter and that is BOXING! You take the best of all three and incorporate it into a boxing style you'll beat the shit out of Steven Seagal and those "17 guys" won't have shit on you because you'll be sticking and moving! It's hard to hit a moving target. I'm over 50 years old and I still get the occasional challenges. Several things go through mind before altercations, possible death, jail time, and hospital bills. I chose the jail time because it's only $100.00 to bail myself out!

Yes of course you are very right and good boxing skills are the foundation to any good fighter and any good martial artist! Is that the style you are in, boxing?

Yes of course you are very right and good boxing skills are the foundation to any good fighter and any good martial artist! Is that the style you are in, boxing?

I incoporated Sillum Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Tae Kwon Do, and Jeet Kune Do. Later on I went to The Kronk Boxing Club to pick up some boxing skills.

i think their isn't any age requirements if one is interested to learn martial arts. i guess the important thing is commitment and dedication to stay longer in the said field.

I watched all of Bruce Lee's movies when I was a kid, but when I got older and away from the theatrics, that's when the real work started. If you think a person can somehow intrinsically endow themselves with Bruce Lee's abilities, HEY MAN MOVE OVER AND GIVE ME SOME OF THAT GANGA! LOL

I started when I was 33 at a Muay Thai gym in Bangkok. I'll be back for a fight in January or February.

I was the only person at the gym who wasn't a pro (no Thais other than trainers). There were guys from all over the world training there. One of them was a 40+ guy who started when he was 40 and has done maybe 100+ fights and has a winning record.

And mind you, this is Muay Thai *in* Thailand, not one of those faggot martial arts like TKD or karate.

i'm a muay thai fighter too. i've sparred with lots of different styles. the tkd guys are some of the best, at least the ones who aren't the sport tkd side stance style fighters. their kicking speed and accuracy is incredible. some of the best local pro mma guys in my area are tkd based mma fighters.

i've seen far fewer good karate guys. but hell, look at machida in the ufc.

Hell no brother,

If you want to walk down the streets with confidence, get your ass in the gym and start training Krav Maga. It was developed by Israeli special forces and is based on natural defensive movements to make it easy to learn and trust me it's EFFECTIVE!! I have been training in Krav for 2 years and it is by far the most street useful martial art I've encountered.

There is no such thing as hard or soft, there is just trained and untrained.

Krav is the way to go

krav is very very good for self defense. but in my experience, it is pretty much garbage though against real trained fighters.

This right here is useful with specific fighting styles and is what peaks interest other than just statying MMA is what you need to train... with a bajillion mma places, thats not too helpful.

Like another guy on here, I am 30 with no real fighting experience but really want to start learning and getting into some type of martial arts but really dont want to waste my time and money doing months of "flowery" fighting that memorizes lots of poses but then when you try and use it in a real practical setting... i.e. as is someone picks a fight with you out in town for some bs reason or some jackass tries to be a jackass and you need to defend yourself or your loved ones or what not... you get the point ....

so what is the best specific fighting style, not to fight off and break the bones of 17 guys that all weight 250 lbs of jacked muscle and you suddenly pull out some Stephen Segal moves and beat all 17 of them....

The top 3 I have looked into would be Muay Thai, Krav maga, or Jeet kun do (wing chun/ kung fu)... but then again i have heard you can be licensed to TEACH yes thats instruct krav maga just by taking a weekend class! and then is is easy and effective but you would learn everything there is to know in two months, and then again.. I am familiar with the isreali defense.. blah blah blah I know military martial arts programs are NEVER anywhere as good as civilian martial arts... OK so not bashing, I have heard good but I have also heard bad so please so post real life advice only from people who have actually studied different arts and used them in real life situations

... so back to the original question

for real world, krav is solid, but like i said, not so much against a trained fighter that knows what they are doing.

if you are only going to learn one style and you want something versatile that works on the street as well as against real fighters, i'd point you towards hapkido. it's kind of a cross between tkd, aikido, and judo. it's a complete martial art with striking, joint manipulation, throws, and grappling.

escrima is also very useful for real world street fighting. incorporates boxing, stick, and blade work. you train to take on multiple fighters and to defend and disarm weapons.

the other two obvious ones are kickboxing (esp muay thai) and bjj. bjj is not very useful against multiple attackers though. in fact, you will probably get destroyed easily if you are a bjj fighter taking on two attackers.

i'm a muay thai fighter too. i've sparred with lots of different styles. the tkd guys are some of the best, at least the ones who aren't the sport tkd side stance style fighters. their kicking speed and accuracy is incredible. some of the best local pro mma guys in my area are tkd based mma fighters.

i've seen far fewer good karate guys. but hell, look at machida in the ufc.

Hey, what's wrong with Synpax disrespecting karate' and TWD? IF were not for those two martial arts which are forerunners that produce Muay Thai. IHMO MT stinks. Hybrid martial arts are only for fanatics and for guys that like punishment. It's akin to sado-masochism. I'm too old for this shit anyway.

Top Bottom