Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tired after eating High carb meals.

Xtreme2001

I'm not sure if this would be the right forum to post in, but I'll ask anyways :)

Before I head to the doc, I was hoping to see if anyone could answer this question.

After I eat a fairly high carb meal, I feel exhausted and I need to sleep. If I'm at work, I dont feel as drowsy because I keep my mind off of it, but if I'm at home just watching t.v, the urge to sleep is on my mind all the time. I usually end up taking a nap.

I've had this feeling for a while now, (6months or so) and I always thought it was just in my head, but i'm just wondering if there is anyway to change this feeling of being drowsy?

I was reading some article on T-mag, regarding massive eating and how one can be insulin insensitive and sensitive to carb meals. I know this applies to me, but it doesn't explain why. I just want to feel more energetic rather than sleepy all the time.

Any suggestions?

High carb meals often cause a spike in insuline levels which in turn forces glycogen from the blood stream into the cells (and yes fat cells as well and one reason society in general is obese), The brian operates on glycogen and when blood sugar levels drop from the spike in insuline your brian runs on empty and hence you feel like you are as well.

I figured something like that would occur. I took that in anatomy class. That was a refresher for me. :)

What could I do to prevent the drowsiness?

Not eat as high of carb meals? any OTC medication to help out?

So this is one of the principles behind taking alpha lipoic acid before high carb meals?to stabilize sugar levels?

I always take 900mg of ala 1hr before i workout with a low glycemic carb EXP=apple

Yes, try to eat a protein-rich meal instead so as to stabilize your blood glucose levels as opposed to spiking them. This is particularly helpful with between-meal snacks. You may be suffering from low blood sugar which will result in a lower blood glucose level after the insulin-spike-induced high carb meal than before it. Which is why you feel like you want to sleep afterwards. Try protein instead and see how it goes for a few days, you should see results immediately. hth

Thanks for the input. I'll test it out.

I just wanted to clarify that I'm not eating a high carb meal by itself. I balance everything else with it, (protein/fat) its just that the carbs are a bit higher.

The whole "zone diet" deal was based around 40% carbs, 30% pro and 30% fat and actually does a pretty good job of preventing what I call a "food coma" :). However, for avid lifters its just not enough protein. Your choice of carbs may also have a huge impact on it as well. Carbs that are high on the glycemic index will be digested MUCH faster and are more likely to cause this type of response.

Last edited:
Also don't forget that large meals themselves make you drowsy whether or not your a hypoglycemic or have sugar problems. what i do with all my large meals is drink grean tea after. it balances me out. (caffine, its my one weakness) but grean tea is good for you.

also what kind of carbs are you taking in a lot of? simply or complex? that should make a difference in your insulin spike. Whole grain oats shouldn't necessarily do that to you. pasta's will though.

try grean tea after your large meals. i bet you'll be surprised.

Scaggs

[email][email protected][/email] said:
Also don't forget that large meals themselves make you drowsy whether or not your a hypoglycemic or have sugar problems. what i do with all my large meals is drink grean tea after. it balances me out. (caffine, its my one weakness) but grean tea is good for you.

also what kind of carbs are you taking in a lot of? simply or complex? that should make a difference in your insulin spike. Whole grain oats shouldn't necessarily do that to you. pasta's will though.

try grean tea after your large meals. i bet you'll be surprised.

Scaggs

Yeah my wife was just telling me about this. www.lef.org has a Super Green Tea Extract if you want it in a pill. r-ALA, IMO has helped me in this area as well, you might want to try it. Good luck with it.

Yeah my wife was just telling me about this. www.lef.org has a Super Green Tea Extract if you want it in a pill. r-ALA, IMO has helped me in this area as well, you might want to try it. Good luck with it.

Interesting. I will have to try that. Not always do i have access to the kitchen. That would be good for when im on the road.

Thanks for the heads up.

Scaggs

Top Bottom