Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tell me about your gym

up to 100lb dumbless, 3 squat racks, 3 bench, 3 adjustable benches, 2 leg presses, some excersise stuff, pull up bar, and then the other usual stuff. $70 for a year. open 18 hours a day.

I used to go to golds, $52/mo. I now go to the YMCA for free, because my parents have a family membership. I am 25, own a house, and have a career, but I still qualify as their child! I'm not sure what the exact rules and age limit are, but it works for me.

brenda athletic club... its got a smallish weight room, but is a huge facility (quite a few amateur/national level swimmers and tennis players train there)... no signup fee... 35$/month (i pay 40$ which includes the club in another city, they have bumper plates there)... but 90% i am at my home location which has: 1 power cage, 1 squat rack, 1 leg press with 36 plate capacity (working on it...) plenty of plates, even a set of 100's, dumbells up to 110, steam room... and a bunch of other shit that i dont rely use, 15 tennis courts, full basketball court, 1/2 length olympic pool with lanes, 3 other pools, spa, cardio shit, machines etc... they dont mess with me, i make a mess with chalk then clean it up when im done and all is good... make some noise have some fun... i love it!

Around my area (Los Angeles north/Ventura County east), I recommend Powerhouse. Gold's Gym is good too, but a lot of yuppie millionaires with their Porshes illegally parked, and they sit on the machines to trade stocks by Blackberry. If you go to Powerhouse, you go to work out. I have the feeling that the problem I mentioned at Gold's, is mainly that location (Simi Valley; 1st St and Los Angeles Ave).

Now just to be clear, I've never belonged to either one. Just been in those places many times, and that's what I see. And for membership, you're going to have to start a war in order to get a fair deal at any of the big chain gyms. They all want you harpooned into a year or more, with automatic debit, and a lot of strings attached. Just demand the CASH MEMBERSHIP price, and NOT a year's membership. That way, they know you can walk away if they don't keep the place in shape. Otherwise, you're married to it for a year if you don't want your credit wrecked.

I got sick of all that, so I built my own at home. It's a small room, and not much space between machines... But it's MINE. I have a pro-quality Life Fitness smith machine, Icarian pec deck & rear delt pull, Flex high pulley with 220-lb stack, Icarian selectorized bicep curl, Icarian spider curl bench, hex dumbells 10 lb through 120 lb., Life Fitness leg extension (selectorized 200 lb), Parabody hack squat (plate loaded), Seated leg press (selectorized 300-lb), and Icarian prone leg curl (selectorized 220-lb). I also have some cool ab stuff, including a custom-made flat roman chair, and a vertical crunch bench, and a Nautilus pullover chair (selectorized).

I got all that stuff used on Craigslist and eBay from gyms out-of-business and a few millionaires who buy that stuff new and never use it. I paid less than it would have cost to belong to a gym, and I can work out immediately, whenever I feel like it. Something to think about, if you or a friend has room...

Charles

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/kx250racer/9301Gym1.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/kx250racer/9301Gym2.jpg

up to 200 lbs dbs, 4 squat racks, 2 power racks, 3 smith, and all the other shit and a ton of hammer strength stuff too. 2 to 3 sets of each db except the big boys (120s to 200s). 45 a month.

I go to 24hour Fitness Lance Armstrong Sport. Been a member for 14 years when it was a Golds, then 24hour bought them in this area. I pay $24/month with all club(any 24hour in the US) access. The one I go to has 2 power racks, 1 squat rack, 2 smith machines, 3 flat bench, 2 inclines, and 1 decline. DB's go up to 120lbs. It has the stop sign looking plates which I dislike with a passion. In the process of building my owm Gym in my barn. Got about 500lbs of olympic plates, a power rack, and 2 olympic bars. Planning on buying a shit ton more and droppin' the membership.

Jeff

Home gym:

17'x12' Steel building at the back of my garden.
Rubber flooring with aluminum sheets under the oly lifting dec.
200kg of bumper plates and 90kg of smaller plates.
Pendlay Men's Oly bar.
Olympic dumbells and lock jaw collars.
PowerTech Squat rack with chin and dip.
Nautilus incline bench.
Weighted belt, chains, bands.
Sit-up bench,balance ball.
Treadmill.
TV, big sound system, big fan.
CHALK.
NO "moron's in the gym" except me.

I used to work out at Crystal Palace National Sports Centre which has a heavyweights room used by internationally competitive athletics team as well as oly lifters, MMA and powerlifters. It's a good gym but my schedule was too tight to allow consistent training out there so I built my own gym. It was really basic and underfunded and looked like something from a 70's Bulgarian facility, but there was excellent old equipment, 10 lifting platforms, and just amazing people to train with.

Top Bottom