Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Supersets, How to do them and how they benefit us?

Bretmj1

Hey guys, I recently revamped my workout and added in supersets. I formulated my workout based off an add I found in an article in the BUILT magazine (Great magazine by the way).

Though one thing i'm confused about is how to do the supersets?
In the article it reads "Do no more than 10-12 reps per superset"
--That raises the question to me, is that rep amount split between the two exercises (ie. 5 and 5 or 6 and 6). Or is it 10-12 reps per exercise (For example flat bench 12 reps then running over and doing incline DB fly 10-12 reps)

Next question, what is the most efficient way of doing supersets to really see good results. How do supersets benefit over other types of workouts?

Thanks guys,

Bret

As I posted in another thread. I believe a true superset is doing opposite muscles. Such as a set of tri then right to a bi, or hamstring to quad. By working the opposite you wont get help from the other muscle therefore working the muscle harder. So maybe like a set of 8 of skullcrushers right to a set of 8 seated curls.

the best supersets i ever did was 1x5/10/20 divide the weight in half each set ,35reps = 1 set, do this for 2-3sets total

EXAMPLE:

FLAT BENCH: BARBELL: 250LBS - 5 REPS, DUMBELL 125LBS - 10 REPS, DUMBELL 60LBS - 20 REPS

if you get 250 for 5, add weight to all lifts accodingly. if you get all reps in only the 10 or 20 rep lift, add weight to only that rep range.

i used to do flat bench/rows on mon, incline/pull ups on fri, lower body wend

skullcrushin22 said:
As I posted in another thread. I believe a true superset is doing opposite muscles. Such as a set of tri then right to a bi, or hamstring to quad. By working the opposite you wont get help from the other muscle therefore working the muscle harder. So maybe like a set of 8 of skullcrushers right to a set of 8 seated curls.

Agreed !! I like to think of it as "push n pull". When using opposite muscles in the group, you can go directly from one excercise to the other, creating your superset, and without extreme fatigue. You will get a good workout and a good pump. I usually take 1.5-2.0 minute rest between supersets. I also pick a weight that is troublesome to get 10 reps.

LQQNEY1 said:
Agreed !! I like to think of it as "push n pull". When using opposite muscles in the group, you can go directly from one excercise to the other, creating your superset, and without extreme fatigue. You will get a good workout and a good pump. I usually take 1.5-2.0 minute rest between supersets. I also pick a weight that is troublesome to get 10 reps.

i dont cosider this a superset this is how you should structure your basic routine. i always do push/pull as a standard routine.
a superset should be to maximaize t.u.t. or volume for a specific muscle group.what i noted above does that well, so does dr squats option if you goto his website.

You have given me something to think about "bigboyal". I have not done supersets like that. I have done giant sets which was a 3 excercise set but not all one muscle as you discribed. I will have to work that in my routine. It does sound like a good way to go. Thanks.

Last edited:
LQQNEY1 said:
You have given me something to think about "bigboyal". I have not done supersets like that. I have done giant sets which was a 3 excercise set but not all one muscle as you discribed. I will have to work that in my routine. It does sound like a good way to go. Thanks.

give them a try, trust me the worst that can happen is you look bigger :). you will get a crazy pump. depending on how i feel,the most i can do is 3 sets, 2 sets if im tired or not motivated. make sure you take in alot of protein, you will be destroying lots of muscle.. also, cycle them for 3-4 weeks on then switch to standard push/pull workouts. These will burn you out fast. my split was this.

mon:
flat med grip bench
bb rows
hang high pulls

wend:
squat
gm's
curls

fri:
incline wide grip
pull up/downs
hang cleans

all supersetted except the squats and gms. you can do them ss after you switch off ss on the other lifts.
you can slo ss the push/pull it speeds things up. 1 superset of bench then 1 superset of rows, do this for 2-3 sets, then fiinsh with some high pulls ss's.you can also pikc 1 muscvle group per cycel to ss, this my be the best way to stay fresh.

if you need help with structure let me know.

Looks good "big" I will definetly incorp this in. It will work well with my already M,W,F routine that I'm currently on. This is great, I learn stuff on other peoples threads too. This is whats its all about.

Top Bottom