Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

STRETCHING.... just cuious

i started to use the FST-7 principles, i use the FST-7 program for a month or so, then switch to a powerlifting program with great results

Some of the latest studies is actually showing that static stretching weakens the muscles. I'm not sure what to think of that yet, but I'm going to look into it.

I've read some of those studies, I know what you're talking about. If my memory is correct, static stretching right before doing a power-related exercise inhibits power output, strength*speed. I believe one study used the vertical jump as a test of power. It showed that power output WAS inhibited a bit when the subjects did static stretching. But this was TEMPORARY. That temporary part is a big thing most articles failed to mention. I believe they also tested dynamic/ballistic stretching before a workout which resulted in being temporarily stronger.

IMO there are definitely some static stretches you want to do before working out such as, hip flexor stretches, external hip rotator stretches, levator scapulae stretches...to name some.

it basically shuts off the stretch reflex of the joints involved in the lift. look at the bench press and the shoulder girdle. stretch prior to benching, you take the girdle of the shoulder and loosen it so there is no "bounce" as the weight hits the bottom of the movement. could lead to alot of injuries.

Looks like I opened up a can of worms, I love it. Don't have time to read that article right now but will do so later tonight or even better at work tomorrow :) Keep it coming guys, learning allot more than I anticipated!

from the study:

"For many competitive athletes warming up completely prior to competition and stretching after competition or training may be more important. By stretching afterwards the athlete gains flexibility without compromising power and strength. "

So pretty much what I said in an earlier post. Don't perform static stretches on a cold muscle (ie. before the exercise is performed) or it will cause a decrease in strength.

Instead perform the static stretches after exercise whent the muscle is warm. This, in my experience helps with recovery (and decreases DOMS) and increases flexibility.

Top Bottom