Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Steroids, bodybuilding, and martial arts

my old karate teacher was telling me that wing chun (ving tun) was the most lethal martial art for the street. What kinds of things does it teach you that are banned in the UFC? And why is it good for multiple attackers?

I have been studding and teaching martial arts for over 20 yrs and its the fighter NOT the style that will win or lose a fight.
Find a style that you enjoy and if self defense is your primary concern then train in stand fighting as well as grappling.
97% of all street fights go to the ground and the other 3% are over before the losing guy even had a clue he was in the fight.

I have studied Jiu Jitsu, Karate and Kick Boxing (with Elbows and Knees), the one you would use in a street fight would be the kickboxing. It trains you to be no holds barred and to attack. Karate is garbage, Jiu jitsu is only good when you are tied up with someone, then you can throw them into some form of joint lock of choke hold. But most fights start out by facing each other apart from one another. I have been doing it for 12 years and kick boxing has never failed me once. You learn not defense but offense.

athlete03 said:

the one that's by far the best is freestyle/greco wrestling (check out the UFC's). .

Wrong. Every wrestler in UFC, PRIDE, etc. is crosstrained with submissions. Wrestling alone won't get you anywhere in NHB. That's exactly why 260 pound Dan Severn was submitted by a 175 pound Royce Gracie.

BigWh1tey said:
I'de say the ving tsun / wing chun . Its all the stuff you aren't allowed to use in UFC . Its easy to learn , you can practice by yourself, it works well for multiple attackers (like most barfights turn into).

You've got a PM bro.

steveo said:
I have studied Jiu Jitsu, Karate and Kick Boxing (with Elbows and Knees), the one you would use in a street fight would be the kickboxing. It trains you to be no holds barred and to attack. Karate is garbage, Jiu jitsu is only good when you are tied up with someone, then you can throw them into some form of joint lock of choke hold. But most fights start out by facing each other apart from one another. I have been doing it for 12 years and kick boxing has never failed me once. You learn not defense but offense.

But can a bodybuilder be a kickboxer? What I mean is, I'm not even all that big yet, but I still have a hard time stretching and kicking high and doing stuff like that that requires flexibility. I'm trying to improve by stretching some everday, but it's going really SLOWLY... 6 months and I'd say I can stretch 2 inches further. What does Van-Damme do? He has a good physique, is damn flexible, and kicks ass to!

The best martial art

Basically, there is no "best" martial art. The only type of martial art that would be useful to a bodybuilder would be a freestyle type. That is when you use a vast variety of different techniques and moves from various styles and disceplines. For instance, kick-boxing kicks and kenpo in fighting with kung-fu punching techniques with kali-silat defense postures with copoeira offensive strategies. This is by no means a definite recipe but you get the idea. Do not think in a one dimensional arena, expand your abilities and the rest will follow. To be the best warrior, you must first defeat yourself.

thaibxr

I found, in my experience, that martial arts, or in my case, muay thai boxing and jui-jitsu training are a fun way to get the cardio training you need without hating it. for example i hate running but when your hitting pads and/or sparring, you take your mind of the drudgery of cardio and you focus on pushing yourself harder and making your opponent fall down or take a brief nap. I found that thai boxing/hitting the pads helped to further develop muscles like legs, shoulders, and also improve flexibility which has been proven to increase growth. my 2 cents;)

I'm 5' 10" 230lbs and a GJJ purple (all no Gi). To be honest it doesn't matter what you take. Martial arts are about as useful as juggling. Unless you're a total asshole the chances of you ever using them are very small. If you're really worried take a few lessons with a good wrestler and learn the basics of ground control, sprawling and resisting the take down. Otherwise just take the MA class that's the most fun or has the cutest chicks. I take BJJ because I enjoy it as a sport, I haven't gotten in a fight since I was 16 and I don't intend to. I honestly would advise against taking BJJ. Big guys seldom last for more then a month. You're basically walking into the academy with a big bulls eye on your chest. Every blue in the place will wipe the mat with you. For the first 6 months you'll be tapping to 140lb gloating pricks. Even once you get good enough to beat them they'll insist that it's just because your stronger (strength, size is heavily frowned upon in BJJ) No fun unless you truly love the submission game. I still do it and love it but I had to pay my dues for 3 years. Now they watch their mouths or I take a leg home with me:)

Top Bottom