Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Starting Strength--Definately THE noob program to use

mlcampbell43

Hey all! I hope this doesn't come off wrong. I am a complete beginner to weightlifting and I'm 36. Actually, 7 monts ago I was 285 lbs. I didn't lift to start out. I just ate a 1500 cal or less diet and walked alot!!! Anyway, when I decided to start lifting I just didn't head into the gym and look at equipment and say, "Oh that looks good, lets do some of those!" No, I was lucky enough to find this site and run into alot of good people who didn't mind helping a noob, a special shout out to Needto (a huge help and a great guy IMO). As I was saying, I did alot of research and read about alot of different programs. I noticed on this site, however, that alot of people were recommending Starting Strength. So, I don't want to overstep, I don't know very much yet, but I do know this. If you are starting weight training for the first time, no matter your age, and your goal is to get stronger (which it should be for all noobs IMO), then look no further than Starting Strength! Again, I'm not talking to people that have been doing this for a while, I'm giving my opinion only to beginners such as myself. Starting Strength is the SHIT. Here are my stats and the weights on my lifts. I have only been doing this program for a four weeks and when I started I hadn't lifted weights for over 12 years.

January 11th
Weight 227lbs

Squat - 145 x 3 x 5
Bench -135 x 3 x 5
Deadlift- 195 x 1 x 5
Overhead Press 75 x 3 x 5

February 5th
Weight 225

Squat - 245 x 3 x5 + 100lbs
Bench - 185 x 3 x 5 +50lbs
Deadlift -260x 1 x 5 +65lbs
Overhead Press 105 x 3 x 5 +30lbs

I know that these are pretty pathetic weights to start with. I did find my working sets the right way and didn't cheat and start low. I had some days where I struggled but I was always able to add. Also, I have had major shoulder surgery. I don't know for sure, maybe some more experienced people can answer better, but I think the progress is pretty good IMO. Thanks for hearing me out.

Last edited:
thats pretty amazing for just 4 weeks. now you just have to get ready for the grind :)

what supplements are you taking?

thats pretty amazing for just 4 weeks. now you just have to get ready for the grind :)

what supplements are you taking?

fuck supplements... he is doing GREAT, and dosnt need to add anything like that until he plateaus for a while... maybe a year or more...

fucking great progress... lets see those lifts get BIG...

agreed - no need for anything but a protein rich diet. Stay away from GNC, and anything else. Next year, we can talk about that.

Really good work.

B-

Thanks for the encouragement!! I really appreciate it and it is really motivating. I had no way to really tell how good my progress was. I work out in a very, very nice gym at my church in Houston. However, there aren’t any serious lifters there. They have all the equipment but it is mostly older people working out.
To answer some of your questions, I am not taking a single supplement. I’m not even drinking the milk like he suggests. I can’t, apparently milk and I do not get along LOL. I guess I have to be honest when I say that my diet is not what it should be. I am trying to eat a lot of high protein food. I’m just glad that I am not putting on a lot of fat! I’m not losing weight like I was but I am seeing a huge difference in my body. Pant size is still going down but I haven’t lost weight. Feeling stronger and more like the athlete I used to be before I let myself go. I must say that I have found my passion! I wish I would have found it sooner, but hey, better late than never.
Thanks again guys. I love this site.

agreed - no need for anything but a protein rich diet. Stay away from GNC, and anything else. Next year, we can talk about that.

Really good work.

B-

I hear you about GNC. That place is expensive compared to some of the sites you guys have talked about. However, I was thinking about throwing in a homebrew post workout shake with whey, glutamine, creatine and dextrose. What's your alls opinion on this?

I hear you about GNC. That place is expensive compared to some of the sites you guys have talked about. However, I was thinking about throwing in a homebrew post workout shake with whey, glutamine, creatine and dextrose. What's your alls opinion on this?

That can't hurt. But for now, I wouldn't do any more than that. The primary thing is that you get at least 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight per day.

If you are going to get that shake going, you can get some quality stuff from Need to Build Muscle. The guy who posted above me (needtogetaas) knows a guy how can get you a discount too! PM him for a code to enter at check out and you are good to go.

Just do me one favor. Remember that no supp you take will ever replace hard work in the gym and eating quality food at home. You have a long road ahead of you filled with hard work. But one day, you will look back at these first steps and have pride in every hard ass rep you did to get you there.

B-

I'm going to order some of that Muscle Replenisher for needtobuildmuscle. I noticed that it has 3 grams of creatine in it. The creatine product that needto sells recommends 5-15 grams a day with no loading period. A couple questions. How many grams of creatine should I use? Should I just put the extra creatine in with the Replenisher shake or is this too much for the body to absorb at once? Also, should I drink a shake on my off days or just mix up a creatine drink? Or should I not worry about the creatine now and just use the Replenisher? Any advice appreciated.

Gotta put this out there. CONGRATULATIONS to the Saints!

Top Bottom