Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squat question

AngMc

So I have graduated to doing real squats, without the Smith machine. I tried to go beyond parallel, which was harder than it looks, and I was told that going beyond was bad bad!

Its not bad as long as I don't allow my knees to wander over my toes right? Also, can I drop the abductor and adductor machines for squats. Are those areas worked? Thanks for your help........Ang:D

Going below parallel is actually easier on the knees. Have you read Arioch's sticky on the Power Lifting board (actually, it shows Spatts as the poster now because she consolidated all of his great "How to do the __________" lift articles)?

He explains it much better than I ever could.

"Also, can I drop the abductor and adductor machines for squats."

Most definitely. IMO, those machines are basically useless; squats with a wider than shoulder-width stance will hit your adductors like you wouldn't believe.

Basically, it's more natural for your knee to go through the full range of movement than to stop midway, which is what you do in an above parallel squat.

Another question: is the only way to graduate from squatting with the smith machine to use a squat rack? My gym does not have a squat rack or any other kind of rack other than the smith & I'm not sure how to do squats otherwise.

Unfortunately, you need a rack; there's no way you're going to be able to get enough weight on your shoulders without a rack - unless you're a stud Olympic lifter, but I don't think that's the situation. :)

Definitely use a rack Ang. We dont have one in our home gym and I've had to dump 300+ pound barbells backwards if my mind writes a check my butt cant cash.

Ooops, I meant to address Jen in my first sentence. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers! I'm sticking to squats on the Smith then. There's just nowhere to rack a bar without a squat rack plus the weight room is so small that if I dropped the bar it would land on another bench!! hehe

you might also try box squats to practice hitting depth. it's great for building explosive strength and working the hips, since you're starting from a stopped position.

VDOP used to have horrible knee problems back when he squated narrow and let his knees go out over his toes. now that he squats wide, and sits with his butt back, he doesn't have knee problems at all.

have fun!

:devil:

Top Bottom