Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

squat form question

cmdubs

when I reach parallel and the weight gets heavy the arch in my lower back breaks. it's not much but enough to make my lower back ache a bit. how can I prevent it? should I wear a belt?

cmdubs said:
when I reach parallel and the weight gets heavy the arch in my lower back breaks. it's not much but enough to make my lower back ache a bit. how can I prevent it? should I wear a belt?

Well, the question is 'Are you working your posterior chain?'. The squat itself comprises many muscles throughout the exercise, but primarily the hamstrings, glutes and up the the back. I would consider taking a look at what exercises you are doing for the entire chain and not necessarily consider a belt. You are trying to strengthen your core and just throwing on a belt is not the answer, IMO.

If you need some more help, let me know.

Last edited:
I can deadlift much more than I squat so not sure it lower back weakness is an issue. could it be a flexibility problem? I noticed my hamstrings are pretty tight when I tried some stretching excercises yesterday.

mm107 said:
my lower back doesnt take a beatin, my spinal chord seems too.

Looks like i need Spinal Chord Work =]

not to nit pick...but how does your spinal cord get worked? r u meaning pressure on it?

the lower back all the way to the neck has spinal erectors running up and down the spinal cord and those can be weak especially in a lower squat position which is out of the range of motion of the average deadlift. that coupled with some inflexibility and it can definitely be the weak point mentioned.

cmdubs said:
I can deadlift much more than I squat so not sure it lower back weakness is an issue. could it be a flexibility problem? I noticed my hamstrings are pretty tight when I tried some stretching excercises yesterday.

Well, that's good to hear and a positive statement nevertheless. Many believe the deadlift is a true measure of strength, so you're doing well in that respect. With squat, there is so much work to do when it comes to form and flexibility is important, but if you have no trouble reaching to pick up the weight for DL, your squat probably isn't hindered by flexibility (although it always helps). Lets talk about form and some additional exercises to strengthen the areas associated with the squat.

You would do well to read some of the training stickies here because there are a lot of sites to visit and articles to read which I have used and they are very good. That said, have you tried box squatting? It helps a lot with squat form and helping a person to practice staying tight and holding the arch while sitting your ass way back throughout. Stick it way out there...seriously. You may vary your grip on the bar (dictating the width of your arms) then try to pull your elbows 'down' toward the floor. This should bring your chest up. so now here you are...ass back, LB arch, elbows down, chest up, look straight ahead, toes pointed slightly outward and knees in line. Visualize you are spreading the floor apart with your feet when squatting down. This will help your knees fall 'outward' as you sit your ass back.

A lot of the work coming out from parallel is done by the hip flexors and glutes. It also goes without saying you need to have a strong core. Maybe try adding work for these weak areas. Glute/ham raises, pull-thrus, SLDL, Hypers (weighted [hold a plate] or with bands/barbell), standing ham curl.., heavy ab work (weighted pull-downs, etc.). Hope this gave you some things to think about. I really think you just need to spend more time on your accessory exercises to strengthen you weak areas in addition to your core lift exercises. Good Luck.

I cannot break parallel without any hip rotatation; for this reason I don't go past parallel and stretch more than I did. Basically my poor flexibility means I cannot perform overhead squats properly. My skinny friend is better than I at overheads- and performs them perfectly- simply because he is more flexible- so yes, you have the right answer IMO.

No matter how strong your hips and ass are they won't help you if and when your 'arch' goes tits up. I'll also continue to repeat this fifty million times because only another two people in the world say the same thing in as many words- and that isn't because this particular training factor is unpopular, god only knows.

Dont risk messing up your back. I think squats are one of the reasons I ended up hurting my back a few months ago. When I first started doing em, I did atf, but my lower break also broke into a reverse curve at the bottom, and it hurt really bad after my workouts. SO i started doing just parallel and it went just fine. Then two weeks later, at work (my work involves a lot of bending over to nail, sand, etc) I felt a weird pop in my lower pack so I went to the chiro, and turns out I had bent often so much for so long that my lower curve was 10 degrees less then it shouldve been. Its taken 10 weeks of visits to the chiro ti get it almost 100%.

thanks to QS's sis I think I corrected my form enough to keep my back tight but now my knees are killing. fuck. was going to start doing ATF squats to see if it helps my knees but now you guys are scaring me.

Top Bottom