Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

so this is how supplement companies cheat you

110%

tell me if i am right here, i was looking at the back of these 3 meal replacement packets i got for free at the Arnold Classic (they are a meso tech, ast, and gnc brands if ur wondering) and i was looking at teh nutritional info. i see for all three of them around 50 grams of protein, and around 25 grams carbs listed and under the carbs nearly only 1-3 came from sugars. so im like wow these arent tooo bad. but then i figured it out, that is whay they want just ppl that are trying to lose weight or something and dont exercise just want "supplements" to do the work and will come in look at that and buy it. then i looked at teh ingredients, for all three the first one was a kind of protein most whey protein or whey peptides. in EVERY single one of the three packets the next ingredient listed (thus the second ingredient most found in it) was malto dextrin. this carbohydrate is a complex carb and not a sugar if i am right, but it has very weak glucose bonds and the highest rating on the gi scale thus would be terrrrrrible as a meal replacement, only good postworkout. though it is cheap to put in there, adds flavor to it, and ppl will just see 1 gram sugar under carbs and think nothing else of it.

I know that protein does decrease the insulin response of higher G.I. carbohydrates. I'm not sure how much of an effect the protein has, but I have asked this question to AST Sports Science before and I never received an answer. I asked them specifically why they use Maltodextrin as the main carb source in their MRP when MRP's are designed (or supposedly designed) to be used throughout the day to supplement peoples' whole food diets.

If anyone here has an idea on how much of an effect protein has on reducing the GI of carbs, I would really be interested in knowing. Any kind of guestimates?

IMO

Maltodextrin is used because it's cheap as fuck as well as being good taste/texture-wise for a MRP, and allows the company to list little sugar in the product....I think it's shit myself, every company uses it....Myoplex used to use Vitargo which is a compound isolated from potato starch said to restore muscle gylcogen rapidly...but they sold out to malto as well....(they sure as hell didn't lower prices though) :destroy:

Vitargo was used in Synthevol HP and in Myoplex Mass. But each serving only had 2 GRAMS of Vitargo. Ridiculous. To the best of my knowledge there is this new Volugro which has 60 or 70 grams of Vitargo per serving. I am totally convinced that Vitargo is the next generation in carbohydrate based sports supplements. It should be much better than dextrose or maltodextrin. Especially in combination with creatine, Vitargo should deliver great results.

Testoman

I tried a Myoplex bar today. The thing tasted great, but was gritty with sugar granules, and the first ingredients are protein and high-fructose corn syrup. Also included, of course, are dextrose and maltodextrin.

Then we have the famous "Hydrolized collagen" or "Hydrolized protein" ingredient. Folk,s if you didn't already know that means miscellaneous connective tissue: tendons, hooves, cartilage, etc.

Top Bottom