Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Skinny guy weight lifting - Advice greatly appreciated

swimtrunks

Hey guys,

I weigh 142 pounds and am 5' 9" tall.
I have been skinny my whole life and have had not really any muscle.

I am pretty skinny all over but I have softness and fat in my stomach, chest and some softness in my back area.

I've been working out for the last 3 weeks or so, three times a week, doing only compound excersises. My main goal is to build muscle and to look fit. I've also changed my diet, and am eating more quality foods and way more protein.

I'm hoping to get some advice as to how I should be working out based on my body type and size. Do I need cardio? Will cardio have a negative effect on my muscle building? Should I be doing mostly compound excersises?

Thanks a lot if you've taken the time to read this.

Hey guys,
I've also changed my diet, and am eating more quality foods and way more protein.

This right here will be the most significant game changer for your physique. Along with continuing your workout regimen. At your height and weight I wouldn't worry about cardio. Then again, I don't know exactly what you look like. Any estimate on your BF%?

This right here will be the most significant game changer for your physique. Along with continuing your workout regimen. At your height and weight I wouldn't worry about cardio. Then again, I don't know exactly what you look like. Any estimate on your BF%?

I just had a fitness consultation at the gym done, and my body fat percentage is 14.7%.
In my opinion, this fat seems to be all in my stomach and sides of chest. My stomach and chest is flabby.

I just had a fitness consultation at the gym done, and my body fat percentage is 14.7%.
In my opinion, this fat seems to be all in my stomach and sides of chest. My stomach and chest is flabby.

Bro 14.7% isn't bad at all. I wouldn't worry about cardio too much ATM but I wouldn't recommend cutting it out completely, it's good for your heart, lungs etc.

What's your lifting like? How many sets? What rep range?

Also might be an idea to check out the diet section, look for a thread called "bulking up using your diet the Steve way" I know you said you'd cleaned up your diet but IMO one can always learn more, you never know, you might find out something you didn't already know. :)

Last edited:
Bro 14.7% isn't bad at all. I wouldn't worry about cardio too much ATM but I wouldn't recommend cutting it out completely, it's good for your heart, lungs etc.

What's your lifting like? How many sets? What rep range?

Also might be an idea to check out the diet section, look for a thread called "bulking up the Steve way" I know you said you'd cleaned up your diet but IMO one can always learn more, you never know, you might find out something you didn't already know. :)

Thanks, I will definately check out the diet section. I just joined this forum today and am looking forward to doing some reading.
I lift monday, wednesdays, and fridays. I do bench press and shoulder press mondays, squats and deadlifts, sometimes calfs on weds, and bent over rows, and pull ups on friday. I throw in abs whenever they arent sore.
I do about 8 reps of everything, maybe 3 sets. my bench press right now is like 115 pounds for about 8 reps. about 135 pnds for 4 reps.

The fitness consultation showed that my cardio is very bad.
Do you think cardio will help to remove fat from stomach and chest, or just keep lifting?

Also, thanks for the info.

You may get a lot of mixed views about this. If it were me, right now I'd be focusing primarily on gaining strength and size. 14.7% isn't bad. Clean your diet up and continue working out and that alone can cut that BF% down. You need a nice base if you want it to show when you cut down. I wouldn't worry about cutting until you are repping 180lbs at least. Focus on gaining that mass right now. Incorporate cardio into it after awhile. That's just what I would do.

You may get a lot of mixed views about this. If it were me, right now I'd be focusing primarily on gaining strength and size. 14.7% isn't bad. Clean your diet up and continue working out and that alone can cut that BF% down. You need a nice base if you want it to show when you cut down. I wouldn't worry about cutting until you are repping 180lbs at least. Focus on gaining that mass right now. Incorporate cardio into it after awhile. That's just what I would do.

appreciate the advice, thanks man!

Thanks, I will definately check out the diet section. I just joined this forum today and am looking forward to doing some reading.
I lift monday, wednesdays, and fridays. I do bench press and shoulder press mondays, squats and deadlifts, sometimes calfs on weds, and bent over rows, and pull ups on friday. I throw in abs whenever they arent sore.
I do about 8 reps of everything, maybe 3 sets. my bench press right now is like 115 pounds for about 8 reps. about 135 pnds for 4 reps.

The fitness consultation showed that my cardio is very bad.
Do you think cardio will help to remove fat from stomach and chest, or just keep lifting?

Also, thanks for the info.

Welcome to the site bro! :D

Your split looks ok for now but I'd consider adding in a few more exercises with a few more sets as soon as your body is ready to take the extra stress. try slowly increasing the number of sets you do until you're doing 12-15 sets per workout. If you check out that thread I mentioned Stevesmi has a link in his sig to a thread about push, pull, legs routine, pretty much what you're doing now but more detailed. I'd recommend having a look.

Freakshow was right when he said you'll get mixed views about cardio! Here's one straight away! When you said your consultation showed you had "very bad" cardio I assume that means you have a high resting heart rate? Personally I'd want to lower that until it's at least below 60 beats per minute. Maybe 20-30 mins on off days with 5-10 mins light cardio warm up before you workout? I really can't see that amount affecting muscle mass too much!

Welcome to the site bro! :D

Your split looks ok for now but I'd consider adding in a few more exercises with a few more sets as soon as your body is ready to take the extra stress. try slowly increasing the number of sets you do until you're doing 12-15 sets per workout. If you check out that thread I mentioned Stevesmi has a link in his sig to a thread about push, pull, legs routine, pretty much what you're doing now but more detailed. I'd recommend having a look.

Freakshow was right when he said you'll get mixed views about cardio! Here's one straight away! When you said your consultation showed you had "very bad" cardio I assume that means you have a high resting heart rate? Personally I'd want to lower that until it's at least below 60 beats per minute. Maybe 20-30 mins on off days with 5-10 mins light cardio warm up before you workout? I really can't see that amount affecting muscle mass too much!

Great thanks!

Top Bottom