Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

seperation kit from A?

There is no reason why estradiol's OH (a weak acid) and testosterone's OH (also a weak acid) will ionize any differently.

I strongly disagree here. Removing the esters first is not the way to go. I mean, in order to remove the esters, you will have to heat in NaOH solution. There's no way that t-prop's OH will not ionize, yet, somehow estrogens' OH will.

Andy

cockdezl said:
[B.

I have had this discussion with Bill Roberts, who stated that he feels that the estradiol salt may not be truly dissolved, but in a micellar form. I also found this separation technique in an old organic chem text book. [/B]

I read that article of Bill Roberts on t-mag. He's saying that someone washed the pellets with NaOH and got a low yield of testosterone. His guess was that the salts from estrogen pulled some of the test with it into the water layer as a micelle. That is possible, but not likely if a non-polar solvent is used to extract the water layer. If only NaOH solution is used, I can see how this can happen.. But if the water solution is thrown into a sep funnel and extracted with a few portions of toluene, it is likely that the majority of the test will be recovered in the non-polar layer.

Andy

"There is no reason why estradiol's OH (a weak acid) and testosterone's OH (also a weak acid) will ionize any differently.

I strongly disagree here. Removing the esters first is not the way to go. I mean, in order to remove the esters, you will have to heat in NaOH solution. There's no way that t-prop's OH will not ionize, yet, somehow estrogens' OH will. "

ANDY, I do not know this for sure (my chemistry is not up to date), but removing the benzoate ester will give 2 ionizable OH on estradiol, which will increase solubility. Testosterone only has 1 at the 17 beta position and a ketone group on the first ring.

Top Bottom