Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Routine for training Tri's for size. Suggestions please!

Tryin'2 Grow

I want to know which exercises are the best for building size on the triceps. My bi's are growing at a pretty good rate, but the tri's are hard gainers and thus my arms are not as even as I want them.

So tell me some exercise idea's and like how many sets of each you do. How often do you max 'em out? Thanks all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Close grip bench or Tricep dips w/extra weight, 2x6-8
This is the core mass builder.

2. One arm (or both arms) dumbell extension behind the head, 2x8-10
If you prefer the bar, you can use that, or a low pulley cable with a rope attachment (kneeling, facing the other way).
Purpose of this exercise is to get a good stretch, so you need a full ROM. Try to really feel the stretch.

3. Cable or rope pressdown, 2x-8-10
I think the rope is better in this case because you are going for a maximal contraction. If you use the rope, spread your arms at the bottom position and hold for a few seconds. Feel the burn.

DO NOt GO TO FAILURE in any of these. Go 1 rep short of failure, you'll know when the next rep is sure to fail.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
There you go, your tris will be fried in 6 sets. You can do 3 sets for the first exercise if you feel the need, but 6 sets should be enough, if your intensity is high.

Last edited:
YUP, weighted dips.

Also californian presses, these are a cross between close grip benchpresses (lifting the bar as in close grip bp) and french presses AKA skull crushers (lowering the bar as in french press, but to upper chest instead of head)

It is like doing heavy negatives for french presses.

Slowme, I like your short mean routine,

do tell.... Why not go to absolute failure on any of the exercises ? To reserve some strentgh for the next exercise / set or...??
:confused: :)

FORGOT TO ADD, REST BETWEEN SETS IS 2-3 MIN.

About going to failure:

Well, it's an endless debate between those who train to failure, and those who don't. I'm not really going get into that right now.
Let's just say I think it's better to go 1 rep short of failure, because going to failure ON EVERY SET, ALL THE TIME is very taxing on the nervous system and will (atleast in my case) lead to over training. Sure, as a shock technique, from time to time. you can do a set or two to failure if you feel it's withing your body's abilities to recover. But based on what works for me and my body, and I'm just a regular Joe as far as genetics are concenrned, I would say think of failure the same way you think of forced reps, rest-pause, strip-sets etc.

I'm not going to say the program I gave is the ultimate tricep builder. There's a time and place for everything, even volume training but if you are genetically just average, like me, then better make it short & sweet.

I myself would not use skull crushers as a mass exercise (=heavy weight). They place immense stress near the elbow which isn't what you want. Not to say they don't work....

Thanks everyone, Seems like the overall consensus on one exercise is weighted dips. Which I have not been doing. I been doing the skull crushers, so now I'll give the dips a shot. I'll try heavy wieght at low reps.

Gotta build these damn things up! I'll keep reading on whether to go to failure or not. Thanks!

Top Bottom