Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

recommended exercise for leg rehabilitation.

Zyglamail

Plat Hero
Platinum
Ok, long story short, I have had arthritis in left leg since 16 months old. Docs told mom I would never walk. Obviously not the case. Last week squated 3 sets of 365 for 7 reps. However, my left leg just does not have the size. I attribute it to many years of having limited or no use, but dammit I want it to catch up. Has anyone had to recover from a broken bone, knee surgury etc and have some good advice for helping a lacking limb to catch up?

uh-oh. How bad is this condition?
I cant imagine working out squats with one leg heavily stronger than the other ! you could try leg extensions hack squats with one foot etc, but that would make one of your glutes bigger etc, but in any case, these are just random ideas being thrown at ya, i have no previous exp. with injuries.
curling canhelp - he does not do squats.

I suaually squat with a smith, so I can concentrate on using my bad leg. The thing is, even though its a bit smaller(bad leg is 27" and good leg is 28" at last measurement) its not really any weaker. It just lacks the size around the knee. My right leg has a nice outer sweep and heavily muscled on the inside of the knee. The left is lacking that but is nearly as strong. For the last couple weeks I have been doing lunges with left leg only after squatting. Thats about all I have at home at present, but will be heading to the gym soon. My home system can not handle the weights I am getting up to so will start doing ext and curls.

goahead, are you speaking for actual experience in rehabilitation? 10 sets of 60 reps seems a bit odd, especially 3 times a week.

Last year, I assisted a guy who had cruched his leg in a car crash- knee surgery too. After he begn to have mobility, we performed (unilaterally) leg ext, leg curls- open chain movements (foot is not attached to any surface) are much easier on the knee than closed chain movements (foot supports body weight). Also some stationary biking). After he felt strength returning to the leg, we moved on to one leg squats, one leg hack squats, lunges- good leg only trained w/ maintenance weight to not atrophy. Eventually, both legs felt equal strength- then returned to training them together. It was a slow process- but today the only proof he has of damaged leg is a scar.
hope this helps you- good luck

Top Bottom