Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein Factory Protein may be very unsafe

enzymus

The default Sweetner in the Protein Factories protein is Acesulfame-K here is an article below from the FDA.

From the book SAFE FOOD by Michael F. Jacobson, Ph.D, Lisa Lefferts and Anne Garland

"Acesulfame K, sold commercially as Sunette or Sweet One, was approved by the FDA in 1988 as a sugar substitute in packet or tablet form, in chewing gum, dry mixes for beverages, instant coffee and tea, gelatin desserts, puddings and nondairy creamers. The manufacturer has asked the FDA to approve acesulfame K for soft drinks and baked goods.

The public is waiting for an artificial sweetener that is unquestionably safe. But this one isn't it. Even compared to aspartame and saccharin (which are afflicted with their own safety publems - see below), acesulfame K is the worst. The additive is inadequately tested, the FDA based its approval on tests of acesulfame K that fell short of the FDA's own standards. But even those tests indicate that the additive causes cancer in animals, which means it may increase cancer risk in humans. In l987, CSPI urged the FDA not to approve acesulfame K, but was ignored. After the FDA gave the chemical its blessing, CSPI urged that iat be banned. The FDA hasn't yet ruled on that request."

From CSPI's web page:

... acetoacetamide, a breakdown product, has been shown to affect the thyroid in rats, rabbits, and dogs. Administration of 1% and 5% acetoacetamide in the diet for three months caused benign thyroid tumors in rats. The rapid appearance of tumors raises serious questions about the chemicalÕs carcinogenic potency."

If you can ask for sucralose or sugar much safer in my opinion I've got 4 pounds of this shit coming to my house....

how much of the sweetener was given to rats and what percentage of them grew cancer and at what age did they start to develop the symptoms? rats have a much shorter life span than human beings, and their tolerance level are much different... even if this sweetener cause cancer in rats, I wouldn't care less if it took 200g a day for 2 years for them to develop symptoms of cancer... For all I know, that equals about 2000g of sweetener per day for humans at a duration of 20 years...

john

Oh No! I"m gonna die!

Do you have something against Proteing Factory? They actually give you a choice to pick the sweetner you want to use, Unlike some brand name companies.

This news is interesting but has been around for some time. 95% of the major supplement companies use
ace-k to sweeten their protein incl. Pro-Lab, Isopure, Designer, and Optimum Nutrition. Also, every piece of breath-freshning gum contains the additive, so most have been using it for years.

Sorry,
Know a little about the FDA myself.
Too many lobiest groups trying to keep the sweetner industry as is. Do a little reasearch on Nutra Sweet you
will see what I mean. Also for more support of this, read
up on Stevia. You will see what I mean.
Good Luck
M.D

Not exactly,
The FDA is known for partial tests of many substances.
However whenever a promising substance arises they
seem to cave into the special intrest groups who fund many studies. I personally believe this substance is safe.
I use it, as well as aspartame and have since its induction. The point I was tring to make is "Do you really
expect the FDA to tote the safety of a sweetner when 20% of their board members are on Monsanto's Payroll?"
Make you own decsion.
M.D

Acesulfame-K is in soft drinks also - in Canada we've been seeing a mixture of aspartame & acesulfame - K in things like Diet Pepsi.

I don't believe this info. There is a lot of spooky stuff that gets spread around about sweeteners, but I doubt the veracity of most of it.

Top Bottom