Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

post-workout protein ingestion

cAbo

i´ve heard many times that the first 30 min-1hr after a workout is when the body really craves for protein and carbs.
but i´ve a question, if protein usually needs around 2-4hrs to be prosesced and launched to the blood stream does eating protein after the workout wouldnt mean that that protein would be used 3 hrs after the workout thus been unable to use the increased metabolism for muscle repair??
also eating protein before the workout would mean that this protien would be used better for energy than muscle repair???
thus leaving own muscle as the only imediately source of protein after a workout???

That is why it is recommended to have a post workout shake containing protein and carbs. Do to the fact that the nutrients are in a simple liquid form, the are absorbed more readliy into the system.

Whey Protein (preferable Whey Isolate) in Water/Milk is absorbed very quickly. Like 30 Min..

That is what Whey is best used. Immediately after for quick absorption

Immediately after workout glycogen supplies are depleted. The body is craving fast acting carbs. We take in some fast absorbtion protein like whey, because it spikes insulin better than carbs alone. Insulin drives the carbs into the muscles so to speak. Therefore, You have to make sure your carb intake is high enough.

no milk post workout, lactose takes a while to digest becuase of limited enzymes.

go 1g per kg of lean body mass in carbs and 25-50g of whey protien with water. also drink about 32oz of water as your body needs that too. this is also a crucial time to get in some vitamins and minerals, throw in a multi-vitamin (I like to use some extra magnesium too ease muscle cramps post workout, b-complex and 500g vit. C.)

these are virtually all the supplements I use are in this post workout shake.

What about pre-workout?

Is it true that certain levels of protein/carbs will draw blood from your muscles to your stomach to digest it effecting workout strength?

or is this just bullshit

I drink 1 scoop of 100% whey about 30-45mins before my workout, it doesnt seem to effect me personally.

immediately following your workout you are trying to be anti catabolic rather than anabolic. In other words your taking in nutrition to stop your body from using your muscle as energy.

BCAA's straight away.

Hey TOMCAT:do you reckon take the whey straightaway.....since its gonna take 30mins to digest.....or leave it a little while?

This is what ive been doing: BCAA straight away.
10 min shower--------mix up a drink with shit loads protein (whey) -----then---a TABLESPOON (yes you read it right)...of sugar (to replenish the glycogen stores...some times i swap it with a sugary icecream topping for flavor). A 5mg of flax seed oil. maybe a banana or two...........and if i feel i need it. bran or some thing else for ruffage.

It seems to work for me I always feel fully recovered

endpoint said:
BCAA's straight away.

Hey TOMCAT:do you reckon take the whey straightaway.....since its gonna take 30mins to digest.....or leave it a little while?

This is what ive been doing: BCAA straight away.
10 min shower--------mix up a drink with shit loads protein (whey) -----then---a TABLESPOON (yes you read it right)...of sugar (to replenish the glycogen stores...some times i swap it with a sugary icecream topping for flavor). A 5mg of flax seed oil. maybe a banana or two...........and if i feel i need it. bran or some thing else for ruffage.

It seems to work for me I always feel fully recovered

that sounds really good, (except I'd cut out the flax oil at this time because it will dull the insulin spike a little) you can take up to 1g per kg of lbm in simple sugars without worrying about getting fat. just make sure you don't use more than 50-75g of fructose (hits your system 45min later and the body has only limited enzymes to digest it.) take that into account when using sucrose (table sugar) because it is a glucose molocule bonded to a fructose molocule.

in all reality table sugar is a good post workout carb.

I take approx 25g protein(Whey Isolate) with Skim milk 30 min before my workout at 5:00 am.

As soon as possible after working out (< 30 min), I take another 25g whey in water and a Can of Tuna at work. With the tuna I have a big mug of Green Tea with sugar..

IMHO...Never eat more than skim milk and Protein powder Before working out because a lot of food will cause your stomach to use lots of blood to digest it.
You need that blood during your workout.

On my heavy cardio day(Monday) I eat as litttle as possible before and then drink Whey after...

Top Bottom