Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

pain during squats?

Nathan

I get a damn sharp pain in my lower left abodomen sometimes when I break parallel and go heavy doing squats. Anyone else have this problem or know what it might be? The problem is barely, if at all, noticeable when I use a belt. Maybe I'll just stick to using a belt even though that won't give me the ab and lower back benefits nearly as much. Another guy at my gym said he had the same problem so he doesn't do squats - I don't really want to give up such a great exercise if I don't have to.

Nathan said:
I don't really want to give up such a great exercise if I don't have to.

I like the attitude...hardcore!

Usually people give any excuse imaginable to not work legs, especially squats.

I don't know how many times I've heard, "But I have weak kness." And, "I have a bad back - I can't squat."

Whatever. It refreshing to see someone who has a real problem with them but still WANTS to do 'em.

I don't know what your problem is bro but if you have to, just don't break parallel. I wouldn't give up squatting unless I had serious (and I mean SERIOUS) problems.

Thanks guys. I'm with you GenetiKing. As painful as squats are, you're probably fooling youself if you think you can get as much growth without 'em. Anyone else got any input?

heh, I had a bad back until I discovered I hadn't been working it out, lol
I also have bad knees
I do Squats still though, cuz as the other guys said they're the best exercise ever shown to human kind.
If the pain is just in one side check your form and make sure you aren't leaning, maybe you should have your doctor look at it because it might be a hernea, last but not least if it hasn't been happening for long maybe you should drop squats for 2 weeks and see if it goes away.

I agree with everything thats been said so far but felt like I should add a little of my experiences.

I never used to do squats or deads because of a bad back and bad knees. Of course thats because I was misinformed. I now do both exercises and have less problems than I did before. Strangely enough it was the leg extensions that caused my knee problems so I totally cut them out and things couldn't be better. I do everything in a slow controlled movement and am not worried about looking like a pussy cause I'm not pushing huge weights. Every week though my weights have been increasing and will break 200 lbs in both lifts next time out (did 195 today). I started 2 months ago at 115 lbs for squat and 95 lbs for deads.

What does the pain feel like? Is it sharp or is it dull?

It can be pinching of skin or organs from a weak spot in the abdominal wall.

Try making sure your stomach is as empty as it can be and see if that helps. That will reduce inner tissues from being pinched up against outer ones.

A few time I got a sharp pain in my right abdominal side, when squating low. It doesn't seem to happen anymore. It may have a plastic belt buckle to my shorts, but it didn't seem likely just didn't feel like it could have been it. It happened on 2 squatting days 1 week right after another, during each of those days it did not happen on every set, but at least once or twice each time. It no longer happens, I'm not sure if I've worn those same shorts since then, (actually I will be wearing them tommorrow, I'm still not convinced its the plastic belt buckle on them) I pretty sure my pain just went away, which will hopefully be the case for you.

Can you reproduce the pain at will? I.g every time you go down below || yourguaranteed you will have that pain, or only a chance of it.

btw scared the shit outa me when I had it, I was like wtf, hmm wtf does a hernia feel like hmm wtf is a hernia god damnit I'm dieing wtf is going on. NOOOO!
(wtf = what the fuck)

The pain is quite sharp, but it's also warm. I can't make it happen every time. Last time I did squats I just wore a belt and the pain never came up. It usually happens during the first two sets but not after. Improper warm-up perhaps? I'll ask my doc about it next time I see him, and if it turns into a big problem I guess I'll get it checked out sooner. Thanks.

Nathan said:
I get a damn sharp pain in my lower left abodomen sometimes when I break parallel and go heavy doing squats. Anyone else have this problem or know what it might be? The problem is barely, if at all, noticeable when I use a belt. Maybe I'll just stick to using a belt even though that won't give me the ab and lower back benefits nearly as much. Another guy at my gym said he had the same problem so he doesn't do squats - I don't really want to give up such a great exercise if I don't have to.

It looks like your lower abs are givving you problems. Squat hits abs pretty good, I suggest that you shoulkd try to do abs (lower abs, strenthen them).

Try that! Try strenthening your abdoiminals and possibly the pain will go away.

Top Bottom