Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

No Burn or Soreness with working out--a good thing?

CuriousBloke

I have a few questions on my Weight Training....

I'm a white male, 37, 5'7" 222-lbs, 41% B.F.
I just started working out again (Nov. '07) after gaining 60-lbs the last 3 years.

Below is my full Weight Training work out.
Every work out session, I do 45-60 minutes cardio before weight training.
A "Brisk Walk" 3.4-3.9 m.p.h

Here's the question.

I do 3x12 on every work out.

When I work out, it's "somewhat" of a challenge on the last few reps on SOME of these sets.
I feel "challenged" when doing the weight (but this might be more mental).

I never "fail out" on any of my reps of my last sets.
Neither, am I sore after working out.
I think lacking soreness is a blessing, however I want to make sure that I'm actually WORKING the muscles.

Should you have soreness as "proof" to a good work out, or am I just a lucky guy?

---if it matters, I was recently prescribed Cytomel (50 mcg per day).
It is UNBELIEVABLE how good I feel and how much more I'm able to lift since I've been on Cytomel.

I'm wondering if the Cytomel is helping avoid the burn? I also take a Multi-Vitamin, Potassium Pill, Niacin Pill, and Fish Oil.

To challenge myself further,

Should I up the weight a plate (20-lbs).
OR
Should I add another set to each, doing 4x12 on each? (same weight)

Also, I'm very concerned about my weakness on my

ARMS--ARm Curl / Tricep Extension
Upper Body--Overhead Press Shoulder Press
----I don't understand why I'm so weak here.

What other things can I do to work this muscle group?

THANKS!!!! For the advice.

My Work Out

******ARMS**********
Cybex Eagle Arm Curl
3x12---50 lbs.

Cybex Eagle Arm Extension Tricep Extension
3x12---75 lbs.

******ABS*****
Cybex VR2 Ab Crunch
3x12--115 lbs.

******BACK**********
Cybex Eagle Back Extension
3x12--250 lbs.

******UPPER BODY*********

Cybex Eagle Chest Press
3x12--150 lbs.

Cybex Eagle Incline Press Chest Press
3x12--130 lbs.

Cybex Eagle Overhead Press Shoulder Press
3x12--70 lbs.

Cybex Eagle Fly / Rear Delt
Flys Normal Grip
3x12--90 lbs.

Cybex Eagle Fly / Rear Delt
Rear Deltoid
3x12--130 lbs.

Cybex Eagle Lat Pull Wide Grip Pulldown
3x12--110 lbs.

Cybex Eagle Row Seated Row
3x12--115 lbs.

******LEGS***********

Cybex Eagle Leg Press
3x12--330 lbs.

Cybex Eagle Leg Extension
3x12--90 lbs.

Cybex Eagle Seated Leg Curl
3x12--90 lbs.

---Note: I just added these two to my work out 12/28/07, (Leg Extension/Leg Curl) so I'm too "New" to determine Max/Performance weight to be using. I do experience "burn" while working these, however only when working. NO soreness when done.

Generic Calf
(The machine I'm using is where you press out with your legs and then use your toes to press/release and work the weight
3x12--195 lbs.

Grand Total of
540 Reps 71,840-lbs.

Any and all advice much appreciated!!!

After you have been working out for a while, you shouldn't have much, if any, soreness afterward. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) is not an indicator of how much good you are doing.

First of all, this post is old. The guy probably crash dieted and quit after a week. (EDIT: Well, let's hope not, I shouldn't be so quick to judge, I guess, lol.) 14-Jan-2008 05:47 PM was his last activity. He made this post 5 days prior.

Secondly, I don't believe there is one set workout standard. It's all about not staying the same. 4-6 weeks of the same routine is fine. Then swap it up. Or swap it up every 2nd or 3rd workout. I'm a heavy weight, 6-10 rep kind of guy. But, every 3rd or 4th workout for each body part, I'll lighten it up some and do 15 reps. I just try and do different things so I don't get to a plateau. But, as far as failure on every set.. I've heard that, sure, and I've heard only failure on the last set every second workout cycle. Like Monday you do chest, last set to failure. Friday, you do chest, but don't go to failure. I'm not claiming to know what way is the best. But I do know that changing stuff up is the way to go.

So, SOOO many ways out there. I think it mainly comes to just sticking with it. Don't expect to look like He-Man or Arnold in a few months or couple of years. Everyone says it, but this is truly my biggest motivational phrase/quote: "Rome wasn't built in a day."

Last edited:
Top Bottom