Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Newbie Question - Hard Gainer

How does something like this look for day 1?

Day 1 - Chest & Abs
1. Barbell Bench Press Flat - 4 sets of 8 (Total in bar 115Lbs)
2. Barbell Bench Press Incline - 4 sets of 8 (Total in bar 115Lbs)
Should I alternate the above with dumbbells each week ?
3. Barbell Bench Press Decline - 4 sets of 8 (Total in bar 115Lbs)
4. Chest Dips - Never done these so how many should I do?
5. Push-ups - Again, how many is reasonable?
6. Ab Crunch - 3 sets of 20

96 working reps + dips and pushups

Even to my untrained eyes thats too much IMHO. Id try dropping to 3 sets and pyramiding up if thats the type of workout your going for. ex. 8 reps at 75lbs, 8 reps at 95lbs, 8 reps at 115lbs. The next time you workoutout chest you should be able to add 5lbs to these, then 5lbs the week after, ect.

96 working reps + dips and pushups

Even to my untrained eyes thats too much IMHO. Id try dropping to 3 sets and pyramiding up if thats the type of workout your going for. ex. 8 reps at 75lbs, 8 reps at 95lbs, 8 reps at 115lbs. The next time you workoutout chest you should be able to add 5lbs to these, then 5lbs the week after, ect.

^this...

...where is joe d with a link to the 20 rep squars and milk program...

I tried this today and agree its a little too much.

I did...
1. Barbell Bench Press Flat - 3 Sets with increased weight less 1 rep
2. Barbell Bench Press Incline - 3 Sets with increased weight less 1 rep
3. Chest Dips - 3 Sets of 5, LOL
4. Push-ups - 3 Sets of 12
5. Ab Crunch - 3 sets of 20

Can I set this as day 1 then?

hey... i don't want to discredit brandonp's advice as he is much more experienced than i am, but don't you think that doing a split like you gave zpower is more of an advanced split? As a beginner who has never done the compound lifts, i personally think he should be focusing on doing the compound lifts in a program like rippetoes or 5x5 in order to get a good foundation.

I think in his case, the concept less is more applies

jdid23, I have done bench press before. I think 5x5 would allow for a little more weight to be used but would probably end up going to failure on set 5. How does this look for tomorrow?

Day 2 - back/biceps/forearms

1. Chin Ups 3x8 - maybe alternate weekly with Pull Ups ?
2. One Arm Dumbbell Rows 3x8 with increased weight.
3. Lat Pulldown 3x8 with increased weight
4. Barbell curl 3x8 - alternate weekly with dumbbells?

Any suggestions for forearm - not done these before.

jdid23, I have done bench press before. I think 5x5 would allow for a little more weight to be used but would probably end up going to failure on set 5. How does this look for tomorrow?

Day 2 - back/biceps/forearms

1. Chin Ups 3x8 - maybe alternate weekly with Pull Ups ?
2. One Arm Dumbbell Rows 3x8 with increased weight.
3. Lat Pulldown 3x8 with increased weight
4. Barbell curl 3x8 - alternate weekly with dumbbells?

Any suggestions for forearm - not done these before.

this is just my suggestion, but i would do....

1. Deadlift- 4x6 (this includes warmups... get a feel for the lift man- it is one of the foundations of every good program)- check out the sticky's for form- heres the link- http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...xercises-articles-more-start-here-655389.html
2. Chinups or pullups is fine- it's a matter of preference.- 3 sets
3. DB Rows- 3x8..
4. Barbell Curls OR DB Curls- 3x8--- do whichever one you like more and progress with it as best as you can
5. Lat Pulldown- 3x8 (if you really want it... rows and chins are already hitting your lats)
6. Forearm exercise- you can do wrist curls or hammer curls

also, most people in the gym have done bench press before haha :) the real compounds you want to focus on at this point imo are squats and deadlifts. Those two lifts release the most growth hormones of any lift and also work the most muscles of any lift. Once you start doing them i swear you will never have any desire to take them out of your routine

The deadlifts are new to me. I'm going to give that a go tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for the help so far guys !

hey... i don't want to discredit brandonp's advice as he is much more experienced than i am, but don't you think that doing a split like you gave zpower is more of an advanced split? As a beginner who has never done the compound lifts, i personally think he should be focusing on doing the compound lifts in a program like rippetoes or 5x5 in order to get a good foundation.

I think in his case, the concept less is more applies

yeah your right...i get excited sometimes..haha

right now he really needs to focus on good form, no matter how light the weight you have to go

yeah your right...i get excited sometimes..haha

right now he really needs to focus on good form, no matter how light the weight you have to go

agreed about the form.... even if that means working with the bar for most lifts.

post back and let us know how you do on the deadlifts..... i would start rippetoes asap though if i were you.

Day 1
- DB Incline Flyes (12kg)
- DB Incline Chest Press (12kg)
- DB Chest Press (22kg)
- Chest Dips

The incline press and chest are done together in the same set, 3 x 8+8. Is this recommended or shall i go for a higher weight but do them seperate?

Day 2
- Lat Pulldowns (55kg)
- Seated Cable Row (60kg)
- BB Bicep Curl (10kg)
- DB Hammer Curls (8kg)
- DB Preacher Curls (8kg)

Day 3
- DB Front Raise (6kg)
- DB Side Raise (6kg)
- DB Shoulder Raise (22kg)
- DB Shrugs (30kg)

Day 4
- Lying Leg Curl (25kg)
- Seated Leg Extension (30kg)
- DB Lunges (5kg)

This has been my training plan for the last eight weeks. Everything here is done as 3 sets of 8 except the incline chest as described. Is it necessary to change the plan or carry on with the above?

Is training supposed to be kept under 45 minutes per session or is this a myth?

Can I split day 2 and 4 up, then mix them together. This would mean day 2 would be back and legs, then day 4 would be arms and legs. Is this recommended?

Top Bottom