Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need help getting started.

Redrum_007

Hello. I am new to Elite Fitness and am fascinated by how much you guys know about fitness.

Well, I am 16 years old, 5'9" or 5'10" & a constant weight of 145-150 lbs. I am skinny and wish to get started getting trained. Now, I know everyone's here exercise with one goal in mind: to get big! By my goal is to just increase in size. To describe myself, my chest isn't really cut and have really skinny arms and legs. I wish to just to get in shape (i.e. build strong and defining abs, muscular shoulders,back, nice medium-size chest, cut arms[but not huge]) I guess my point is not to build as big as you guys are, but to start gradually by being fit and having that "male model" look.

I would greatly appreciate any of your responses, opinion and suggestions and feel free to say anything you want to say.

Read everything you can get your hands on. This site and t-mag.com are my two favorites when it comes to training advice. As for authors, the two I respect more than anyone is Charles Poliquin and Ian King. Some of their stuff maybe over your head but take away what you can. Never underestimate nutrition. It is equally, if not more, important than training. Again, there are alot of good books out there. A great book I got done reading not too long ago is called, Optimal Muscle Recovery by Edmund R. Burke, Phd. Not necessarily geared toward bodybuilding or powerlifting but it has its application towards any athlete. Look for credibility in your authors. Do they have a bachelors, masters, phd? How bout certifications? Are they involved in athletics in any way? These are things to look for. They always do a author profile. Read it first. Any time you need help just post a thread, even if it seems trivial to you. Feel free to email me any time. Good luck with everything.

Are there any other suggestions? Will any cardiovascular exercise help? Or should I stick to strictly to weights? Also, what kind of food do you guys eat? I've taken AP Biology in school and I know that carbohydrates (sugars) are important for energy, but someone posted to avoid eating them. I also know that proteins speed up metabolism, so I guess I'll be eating those more. But please, what foods in specific do you eat.

Thanx to the previous person who posted.......

Your 16,

Eat whatever makes you happy. Eat clean and healthy. Forget junk foods. Carbs are just fine for you. Cardio is great.

Check out MAX-OT on ast-ss.com

The wonderful thing about your age (and apparently your metabolism) is that if you train with any intensity and eat more (protein especially) you will put on clean mass.

Eat lots of red meat, turkey, fish, lean ham, eggs, yogurt, beans, chicken, peanut butter, even milk and cheese are cool for you. But be sure to get plenty of veggies and fruits in there and you can even have junk food here and there but just don't get out of control with it, make the aforementioned foods the cornerstones in your diet. I wish I had paid as much attention to diet as I did training when I was a newbie...I'd have been miles ahead of the pack. :cool:

Stick with basic, compound, free-weight exercises. Machines and cables are okay but you need the basics for the most part.

Do squats, deadlifts, incline bench, barbell curls, bent-over rows, skull crushers, calves raises, leg curls, shoulder presses, and shrugs. At your age, these type exercises will give you what you're looking for (I understand you don't wanna be freakishly big...don't worry, there's nothing you can do right now that will make you look like that...you don't have the frame or the hormones for that yet anyway.) I think when you say you want to get in shape like a male model, you are referring to added muscularity without bodyfat. Trust me...add the mass and you will look more "cut."

Good luck. :cool:

hey,

if you are looking for some quality mass, whilst not getting huge, then the type of training you need is quite simple.
since you are just getting started, you should do the compound basics, such as squats, dealifts, dips, barbell rows, chins and bench press.

don't worry, if you are a natural (one that does not use drugs) bodybuilder doing this program, you will put on mass and weight, but will never think,
'' i am too big''
every one will notice your growth, but you will hardly ever!

after the above type of compound lifts, where you will have developed more strength and mass, you should try to also use some isolation moves, like preacher curls, leg extensions, side laterals, tricep pushdowns and cable crossovers.

good luck

Top Bottom