Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lower backpain, Squat bar position and question on weight improvement?

Acoustic

I have been doing 5x5 for a little while now and recently have been concerned with lower back discomfort. I think I have gotten rid of the problem with my deadlift, I just needed to take a wider stance (I am around 6'1) and use my legs more coming down. My rows seem to be really discomforting though and I need some suggestions on those in terms of back position.

Another problem I have is the pain I get from the little bone on top of my shoulders. It is really sore after squats I guess because of my bar position. Is it because I need to work my back muscles to where the bar is raised a little higher and not resting on shoulders at all? Maybe I need to lower the weight?

Lastly, how much should I be going up on weight in terms of each workout or week? Like I said, I am doing 5x5 so that should give you an idea on what I am doing.

If your back is hurting with barbell rows, I'd to a form check and make sure your abs are staying tight.

Are you high-bar squatting?

As for weight progression, isn't that built into your program already?

When your doing squats the bar actuall should be resting on your traps and you want the bar just above your scaps for 5x5. In the 5x5 workout you wanna be doing more of power squat, low bar wide stance, weight over heels.

On your rows. Your tall so you should use a very wide stance. That gets you closer to the bar to begin with. Im 6'1", I use a wide enough stance so that when I bend over my back is parallel to the floor eith no strain. And I also have my knees bent quite a bit. This puts my belly right down between my thighs.

In the 5x5 it is set up so that your squat weight should increase by 10 LBS per week. However you may just wanna do 5 LB increases. At least that is how the Strong Lifts program is set up.

My workout went like this today:
On squat I tried the lower bar position and it felt a bit awkward but definately took the pain away on the shoulders. I need some tips in this area as I am having problems with wrist pain and lower back pain on squat now. The lower back I believe came from the bar being too high on the rack, it was in my upper pectoral area and probably should have been on or a little below nipple.

On rows I am still getting some lower pack pain even after spreading my legs very far apart (same as my deadlift stance) and bending my knees pretty far. I use the same grip as my bench if that helps?

Bench was normal as usual.

Overall still got the lower back pain that is bothering me. Appreciate the help guys!

Wrist pain? Instead of trying to press up and unload the weight from your shoulders, focus on keeping the upper back super tight and pulling the bar down into your back meat.

Alright, and I think I can remove the lower back pain from just lowering the bar on the rack. Need to look up some row videos though.

Top Bottom